use four-foot or double bed in apartment rental

amethyst

I have a one-bedroom flat to rent out. The bedroom is a decent size. I already have a nice 4-foot (wide) bed. This seems like a nonstandard size in Ireland? It's a 6 inches less wide than a double bed, but a whole foot wider than a single bed.

Do you think I should use this or get a full double bed? Also, ideally I'd prefer someone not to have full-time live-in boyfriend/girlfriend in the place.

As a single person, I like the extra size of a least a 4 foot bed over a single.

If your intention is to rent to a one person only, then the 4 footer may be a better choice. But I doubt if it would not stop the tenant from having a friend to stay and not crashing on the couch!

It is a requirement of Irish law that the tenant:
(n) notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling.

You could have a clause in your agreement that requires the tenant to notify the landlord in writing of any person other than the tenant who resides in the apartment for more than 3 nights in any 7 day period. Or something similar.

You could have a clause in your agreement that requires the tenant to notify the landlord in writing of any person other than the tenant who resides in the apartment for more than 3 nights in any 7 day period. Or something similar.

Not if you want to rent out your apartment you can't. Seriously. They are renting an apartment. They are not signing away their dignity.

With the price of apartment rent,if you found someone earning enough to afford the rent,they might be seen as a desirable partner......

Not if you want to rent out your apartment you can't. Seriously. They are renting an apartment. They are not signing away their dignity.
The OP wants to rent his apartment to ONE person. He is entitled to specify this in any agreement. There is nothing in the law that prohibits him from having a clause specifying that the tenant cannot have a visitor stay for a max of 3 nights in any 7 day period.

It might put a lot of people off renting the place, but personally, it wouldn't bother me.

The problem would be in enforcing it.

The problem is that it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Make it a condition of the lease that one person rents and resides ordinarily in the apartment (no idea why you would want to) and enforce that if you can but asking someone to report to their landlord when their boyfriend or girlfriend exceeds their three night a week limit for staying over is absurd.

There is nothing in the law that prohibits him from having a clause specifying that the tenant cannot have a visitor stay for a max of 3 nights in any 7 day period.

It might put a lot of people off renting the place, but personally, it wouldn't bother me.

With all due respect I think you would be in a tiny minority there.

With all due respect I think you would be in a tiny minority there.

I think Facetious is only pointing out what the landlord may do and is not necessarily recommending it.

OP - the small double as I call it, the four foot is far preferable to any single person. I don't agree that a four foot is suitable for couples. And it's better not to put in the standard double if it means the room is short of space.

As night follows day, good luck with policing a one person policy whether you have a single, small double or double bed. As long as the place is kept well and rent paid don't think about it.

Back