Advice needed on securing return of deposit

mdina2106

In a previous post it's been clarified for me that notice is not required on vacating at end of a fixed term contract. As a matter of courtesy I will give the letting agency as much notice as I can. On speaking to someone who works with landlord-tenant disputes it transpires that this letting agency is renowned for holding onto deposits with no reason given to tenants. The advice on whether we'll get our money back seemed to suggest it was unlikely. We have paid in full until the end of this month & are in the process of lining up a new rental. We can't afford to not have our deposit returned. Family have suggested that we remain in the property for July & not pay for the month. This is not something I would not like to do & I'd be worried they could kick us out or worse we'd end up being sued. Please any advice would be much appreciated. I really didn't realise the minefield we'd be getting into when we started renting.

Giving notice is customary, in your case very important and when doing so ask what the process is with the return of your security deposit, there is usually an inspection, set s date for that inspection soon and be there for it, suggest you use e-mail so you have a record.

I cannot see you not getting back what you are entitled to assuming there is no more to your situation of course.

Back