Unusual Lease Agreement

Kine

Hi All,

Although I live in the UK now, I think the principal of this question should be the same regardless of whether I live in Ireland or not. I have been renting off my landlord for almost two years now and with the lease expiring in October he has made a proposal for what he would like to do going forward.

The nuts and bolts of it is for a “significantly reduced rent” (to be quantified once I have had a proper chat about it) I would take care of the day-to-day maintenance going forward (i.e. a light needs fixing, I would get the electrician and pay for it etc), with anything more substantial covered by the landlord.

Obviously, I will need to drill down into what “substantial” constitutes, as anything structural is covered by his landlord insurance so I wouldn’t propose having to pay for the roof falling off myself.

Mainly, my question is around does anyone know of or have a lease agreement I can use as a template for this? It seems to be following more of a German model etc, and I wouldn’t mind reading through some sort of fine print to see how this would work in practice.

I’m assuming he would want to sign something, but I haven’t gotten that far in the conversation yet and I don’t know how loose he wants to leave it (i.e. a gentleman’s agreement to a fully fledged legal doc!).
With house prices as they are over here, I have managed to talk him out of selling the house (I have no idea how as it has sky-rocketed in value) and this seems to be the compromise solution as he doesn’t want to have to deal with the day-to-day property management anymore (hence the wish to sell).

I will need to see the rent going forward under this agreement to assess the risk / return of such an agreement, but on a high level a £250 reduction in rent added to the £250 more I would have to pay if I moved into a similar property in the same area would be a £6k difference per annum – not exactly small change when moving costs are another £1k minimum on top, plus letting agent fees etc.

So, does anyone have:

1) A similar type lease agreement or know where I can get one?
2) Any ideas as to obvious issues etc I should consider?

Happy for input, positive or negative!

K

Last edited:
If the property is in ireland, and is a residential property, then I think you would be breaking the laws on Private Residential Tenancies. A landlord is required to maintain the structure, the exterior walls, roof, guttering, sewerage, pathways etc; interior-wise, the landlord is responsible for all utility installations (gas, electricity, water) and their maintenance, the interior walls, floors, ceilings, stairs, doors, windows, etc and their maintenance.

Even in an unfurnished property, the landlord must supply the kitchen fittings, fridge and freezer or fridge/freezer, washing machine, oven, hob, microwave.

However, I am not sure of the laws in the UK - noting that the laws in England and Wales are different to those in Scotland.

Back