Home Making a claim on a rented property

rogeroleary

A friend of mine has been renting a house for many years. She has been using the same broker and for the last 5 years or so the broker has insured her with the same insurance company.

Some time ago a tenant had a fall inside the house and went off to hospital. They returned a couple of hours later and that was the end of the matter.

When the policy was up for renewal the broker recommended renewing with the same insurance company and the policy was renewed.

Nine months after the alleged fall she received a letter from a solicitor making a claim. She mentioned to the tenant that they were taking a claim against her and the tenant said "no, it's not against you, it's against your insurance".

She submitted the letter to the broker immediately but has now received a letter asking for a written explanation of "for the late notification of this claim"

She's now worried that while she did notify them immediately this looks like they are seeking a way to walk away from their possible liabilities? As I mentioned the same company has been the insurer from the time of the alleged incident right through to the notification of a claim some 9 months later.

Any advice would be very much appreciaited.

Roger

I don't see any problem here. Your friend just has to write back and state that she has only now been served notice of a claim and that she didn't know there was going to be a claim.

As for the tenant stating that the claim is not against your friend but against the insurance company, well one can deduce from that the type of person the tenant is. I supposed she has whiplash or equivelant from the chair fall.

But it's still not justified Mercman. The person was back in the house the same day.

Bronte, I'm not for one moment disagreeing with you. But this should be a good example as to why landlords must have Insurance on their rental properties, especially full Public Liability Insurance.

And landlords whose premiums go ever upwards might take pictures of said tenant cutting the grass, dropping kids to school, playing tennis, putting out the rubbish, with dates and times and drop them off to the insurance company.

No need. The Insurance Company will do all of this for them. As a point of note, it really is not that easy to make an Insurance Claim any more. And I might add quite right too. For those that are legit, no problem, but for those that make dodge claims and found out, it will be very difficult to move forward as the name will be black listed.

Thanks folks, gave her that feedback and she told her broker exactly as you said and it seems everything is fine now - thanks for the help.

Roger

Back