Breaking Red Light/No Tax

S

seanino32

Hi Guys,
Im just after getting a fine in the post and 2 penalty points for breaking a red light. I remember seeing the guards at the time but tbh I didnt think I broke it. For various reasons I have not been using the car since may, it was taxed until june. i was going to get it taxed this month as i started using it again. But I'd hardly used it either so was going to wait until october. Now that i have the fine which is dated late september, should I backdate the tax to september to cover use when i got the fine or would I get away with october in a few days time? I wouldnt mind but I probably dont deserve the fine/points inthe first place. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

When were you caught breaking the red light?
Was the car taxed at the time ?

You can get a form to fill out an have stamped at the Garda station stating that the car was off the road for whatever period of time and no tax is due for that period.

You can get a form to fill out an have stamped at the Garda station stating that the car was off the road for whatever period of time and no tax is due for that period.

Very bad idea is the car was used at all during that time.

Hi Guys,
Im just after getting a fine in the post and 2 penalty points for breaking a red light. I remember seeing the guards at the time but tbh I didnt think I broke it. For various reasons I have not been using the car since may, it was taxed until june. i was going to get it taxed this month as i started using it again. But I'd hardly used it either so was going to wait until october. Now that i have the fine which is dated late september, should I backdate the tax to september to cover use when i got the fine or would I get away with october in a few days time? I wouldnt mind but I probably dont deserve the fine/points inthe first place. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Well, you seem to have used the car so tax it (as you should have done in the first place). Car tax is not optional; if your car is on the road then it has to be taxed. 'Hardly used' is no excuse.

If you broke the red light you deserve the points. If you are sure you did not then you can appeal it.

Tax will always be back dated, unless you get the guards to fill out the form stating it was off the road. As the car got a ticket, while 'off the road' you no longer have this option. Unless the guard who signs it is half a sleep.....

Went into the station last night and the guard suggested I come back in a few days as it will be october! but I suppose the fact I got a traffic violation when I wasnt officially taxed that date might come back to haunt me. Probably will just backdate to sept and that covers everything off....

You obviously dont really believe that you dont deserve the fine or you would have questioned it in court.You must pay the tax for the month that you broke the red light or you will be deeper in the mire.

You obviously dont really believe that you dont deserve the fine or you would have questioned it in court.

Or he could be cutting his losses as he would get 5 points if he lost his case in court and possibly a higher fine. Unless there are independent witnesses I think it would be hard to win a case such as this.

Get the guard to sign the form to say that the car was off the road for July and August and pay from September onwards.

My thinking too Billo, will do that. Cheers for the replies guys

The guard may well summons you for no tax/tax displayed (especially if he checks out AAM!).

Back date your tax to the date of expiry to prove there has been no loss of revenue ( i.e. to the rest of us who pay) and produce this evidence to the judge.

hey guys a guard is only a witness to you making a declaration of non use of your vehicle. it is the person who declares this and can be brought to court if they declare it was off the road when it wasnt

Back