in a nutshell - what are search fees?

E

EBMITIE

I saw my solicitor 3 weeks ago and got completion statement today with a charge for search fees!! I distinctly remember asking my solicitor did he do any searches and he said no. He then went on to say " you can be assured development will take place etc...

My understanding of search fees was that a search was done to establish if any development was planned or in the pipeline.

I stand to be corrected.

ebmitie

There are different types of searches for sales, purchases or mortgages. The searches differ also depending on whether property is registered land, or unregistered land and whether it is leasehold or freehold - you may be searching for different things.

When selling:
Perhaps a Registry of deeds search and/or planning search to guard against something unforeseen showing up later.

When buying:
Registry of Deeds or Land Registry, planning on the proeprty, Judgement, Bankruptcy searches against the vendor - is there anything to impede them selling? e.g. bankruptcy or judgment mortgages

When mortgaging:
Similar but searching against the mortgagor - you.

So if you were buying a property and then mortgaging, your own solicitor would be searching against the property, the vendor and you.

Does this explain it to you?

mf

That sorts me out beautifully. I will take it all these things were done.

ebmitie

Back