Grange Rath/ Deep Ford Drogheda

catgirl

Hi there,

Myself and fiance are looking to buy our first family home. We are living in Balbriggan at the moment but we cant get anything we like in the area and have moved our search to the dublin side of Drogheda. Grange Rath and Deep Ford are two new developments which appeal to us as there is no stamp duty. But we are also open to going for a second hand property, we want a four bed detached. Any thoughts?

Hi there,
of the 2 i'd suggest Deepford - Murphys the builders are established,long term builders in the area with a good reputation. They also built Five Oaks and Stameen in the same area.

My personal recommendations, without knowing your budget, and basing the location on the fact you seem to be looking at the southside are:
Wheaton Hall: a couple of minutes walk from train station, retail units are open and you have easy access to a spar / chinese take away / dry cleaner / butcher in the estate. You're about 10 min walk from the new Scotch Hall (24h Dunnes is useful for commuters).
Roschoill / Castlewood: beside the Boyne Valley hotel, relatively quiet estates, easy access to gym in hotel, 10 min walk from shops in Wheaton Hall and the shop at the Black Bull pub. Good build quality and finish.
GrangeRath: range of property available from apartments thru to Eu1 million house. No shops onsite yet, a farm shop opposite, but permission is being sought for retail units. A shuttle bus (free I believe) runs during the morning to the trains station for commuters (after 7am parking is an issue at the station).
I recently purchased a new home in the Drogheda area and the anecdotal info from estate agents / snag list person / solicitor questioned the build quality in GrangeRath. This is 2nd hand info and could be a couple of years out of date.
Hope this helps.

The shuttle bus from Grange Rath to station is about €12 a week (according to their ad), and not sure about the build quality problem, but I know a few who live in Grange Rath, and I have to say, the houses look lovely inside - very spacious and very modern looking. Sure its a Godzilla of estates, but they also have tennis courts and lovely woodland setting to the back etc. A 3 bed semi in Park something (can't remember) was 230k this time last year in Grange Rath, and its above 310k last week.

In Wheaton Hall there are a few four bed detached on market at the moment - the asking price for the one at the back of the estate is around €430K, just to give you an idea - red-brick-fronted houses, about 10 years old, and the shops and pharmacy is very handy indeed.

I was told FiveOaks houses are really nice, and same with Stameen, only more private and nicer! Bryanstown Manor / Martello Village (right opposite to the train station) are very popular with commuters I guess - a 3 bed duplex (some 1400 sqft!!) was 220 last year, and similar being sold for more than 300 this year!!

hangs head in shame... shuffles over to the dunces corner... never to post again!
You're correct! Typing error!

Thanks guys, its good to get the info! We are going for grange rath apparently releasing in two weeks!

Anyone know how much the new deepforde houses will sell for? who is the agent for the development?

Also looking at grange rath townhouses, are they good quality?

As far as I understand Joe Murphy (deepford) doesn't use a selling agent, I thiink he sells himself.
Driving by this weekend it looks like the show houses may be ready to open in the next week or so... gardens are landscaped, it looks like windows are being cleaned.... ready for the eager hordes!

I haven't seen any prices yet, but passed by yesterday and there appeared to be a family viewing 1 of the 2 showhouses. It might be worth giving murphy a call and see what the prices are.
However, there isn't any signage indicating that show house is open, so it might be showing to interested parties first, before official launch. (The family was 2 adults plus 3 kids, so unlikely to be supplier / designer finishing off house).

I managed to get into the Deepford show house on Saturday, the five bed is 750, i know I nearly collapsed. Thank god we got ours in Grange Rath for 585 which we though was soo expensive but as we walked out of Deepford we were laughing at how that seemed like a bargin now. There is a five bed in Roschoil also just gone on the market for 850. What is going on with these prices??????????????

Apart from the price, what did you think of the house?

I for one didn't like those bricks - usual red or the same color as Grange Rath would have been better.

Thx!

I drove by there today and the showhouse opens this weekend, 24/25th June from 2.30-4.30pm.

Would be interested in hearing what anyone who drops by thinks?

Visited at the weekend and boy am I glad I'm not looking for a house on the Dublin Road!

750k for the 5bed detatched (in reality 4bed plus v small box) over 3 floors. There was a nice finish on the house with a few extras like twin basins in ensuite and jacuzzi bath but no garden to speak of (very small space at back).

400k+ for 3 bed semi that was nothing special.

IMO people are paying over and above for this address but given the crowds there at the weekend, they will have no problem finding buyers.

Curious to know which would be the better estate to buy a house in - Deepforde or Grangerath ? Any thoughts ??

my own personal preference would be neither, as both are still being built! If you're ok with living with dust and building, and your budget can cover it I'd suggest Deepford.
If you're still interest in the area but the budgets don't meet these 2, check out wheaton hall, bryanstown as they both have a wide selection of accommodation, from apartments through to houses, and the main building seems to be finished.

As well as the ongoing building work in both housing estates, there will be a new shopping development starting soon close by, which means even more dust, dirt and an increase in traffic!
Both estates are quite a distance from the railway station (if you're thinking of commuting by train) and there's limited carparking at the station, so if that's going to be a factor, you should consider estates closer to the station - the estates mell61 mentioned are within 10-15 mins walk (I'm in one of them myself).

Last edited:
Where exactly in the new shopping center going ? Drove in to Grangerath from Dublin Road but couldn't see too much activity going on.

Talking to EA Thomas Byrne and he has a €1,000,000 house for sale in Grangerath. Madness - who would buy such an expensive house to live in a housing estate ??

Back