Acca

Donnie

Am thinking of starting an ACCA this year and have 4 or 5 exemptions which would be a good start. Currently work in the Irish funds industry but not in the accounting or finance sections. Have not decided yet if I would want to work as a pure accountant or not, but in these uncertain times in the financial services and banking sector, I am thinking that it would be a good qualification anyway to have in the future.

Any commnets on whether ACCA would be a good general qualification to study? Anyone out there is a similar boat or working in a similar industry?

Hey Donnie,

Was in the same boat as you about 12 months ago however my job in funds is related to accounting. Took a look at CIMA, ACCA and CPA and finally decided on CPA. For me, the best way to look at it was to see did I want to work in a accountancy firm, industry and so on.
Any ideas what you want to do once you qualify???

No idea what area I want to work in accountancy at all but I just think that is a very good qualification back bone to have. I plan to move into a role in fund accounting this year in my company. Comments?

I qualified last year as an ACCA accountant - best decision ever! I only received one exemption and the exams took 3 years. In order to pass all exams you must be committed! It's hard work especially with no study leave! It requires dedication. I was also working in funds - fund accounting then financial reporting. I now work in industry. On qualification, the ACCA qualification gave me so many more options - the world was my oyster. GO for it! On qualification you will stand out from the crowd - and it gives you the choice to move to another industry as opposed to staying in funds for the rest of your career. Good luck!

Back