Channel Account Manager

Dublander

This might sound like a bit of a dumb question to those in the know but I was wondering what exactly is a Channel Account Manager??

Is it a step up from an Inside Sales Rep?? And what exactly does channel mean in the title??

Hope someone can help, need an answer fairly quick.

... what exactly is a Channel Account Manager?? ...And what exactly does channel mean in the title??...
A channel is a means of getting product to purchasers.

The old-fashioned channels were wholesale and retail; pricing and promotions were channel specific and changes needed to be sychronised in order to avoid conflicts.

Other examples of channels could be export, value added resellers who bundle your product with their own offerings, government / public bodies or the internet.

An Account Manager? - it used to be the salesman who regularly took wholesale buyers for golf, dinner and drinks or who dropped off the booze at Christmas-time; these days equivalent titles could be Sales Executive, Account Executive, Marketing Vice-president, etc.

Yes it is a step up.

It is managing an account base of established customers rather than dealing with transactional customers.
You will be building & maintaining relationships with your account base rather than hard selling.

I am presuming this is with our local friendly american PC manafacturer ?

Thanks for all the replies, that cleared it up for me.

To be honest I am looking at a bit of a career change and was wondering what the career progression was.....think I would have to start at inside sales but if the opportunities are there with a company I think, with the technical and sales experience I have, I should be able to progress further within a year or 2.

And yes it would be an american company but not PC manufacturer ;-)

Back