Motor Period of no car insurance. Any advers effects?

cofee

Hi all,

History: We had 2 cars. My husband main driver on 1. Me, main driver on other. Sold husband's car. He has had no insurance in own name for 1.9 years, but has been named driver under my insurance.

Question: Would it be better if my husband was the main driver on our 1 car now for a period so that he doesn't lose any benefits like No Claims Bonus. We may get another run around car in the next year if we need. If that were the case would husband's insurance on this car be more because he had a period of not having own insurance?

Thanks in advance.

How long has he been named on your car? If you really wanted to be sure to hang on to his NCB, for most insurers they die after 2 years. so change the insurance into his name. that way it keeps his bonus live and you have two years to use yours!

If he has a full NCB, just reinsure the car in his name to keep the NCB live. Otherwise he will only end up being allowed a 3 year introductory bonus when he tries to insure a car.

NCB as the primary driver on a policy ("the proposer") lasts for 1 year. IIRC after that it goes to zero

So he's lost it already anyway! As it's well past a year. That's a definate?
What's IIRC?

Thanks for the responses.

Ncb normally lasts for 2 yrs as Peteb says. I have no idea what IIRC means either.

Back