Home Cant get insurance for a split house since "Travelers" Insurance left the market.

Fergalmc

I have a three storey house that I split into two, with a front entrance servicing downstairs and a back entrance serving upstairs.

I got my planning permission and followed all the fire regs - Smoke & Heat Detectors, Separated with Blocks or heat resistant slabs, fire exists. Everything is done to the highest standard.

I was insured with 123, but since "Travelers" pulled out of the market I now am faced with no house insurance as 123 won't insure it and I've contacted a broker and they can't find anyone else who will insure it.

This is not in a flood plain and I am told that I can't get insurance because it is 2 insurance policyies under the one roof.

Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
If its separate titles -

Have you tried talking to insurers who deal with apartment insurance?
Once your fire risk is mitigated, it must be something similar.

If its separate occupancies, let out -

Have you tried talking to insurers who insure houses converted to flats?

Hi onq, The house is under the one title and I have it let out seperately. Do you know any insurers that deal with apartment insurance?

What broker did you get in touch with? Was it someone who just does personal insurance and nothing else? You might better just going to a "bigger" broker.

Hi Fergalmc,

Sorry, nope, not my end of the business :)

I design 'em, I don't let them - not yet, anyway!

I reckon Allianz should probably do it. So when you say you went to insure.ie and 123.ie do you actually mean you went on to their website and it didnt suit their online criteria for a quote?

I called both of them.... and gave them all the details and they told me that they would not insure me..

Try an insurer that does block insurance. I think that Aviva, Zurich and easyquote.ie quote for block insurance.

I was able to get insurance from a broker in Wexford... I tried several places, one broker said that they had checked with over 40 companies and they couldn't get anything.. Thank God that I'm covered now..

I was able to get insurance from a broker in Wexford... I tried several places, one broker said that they had checked with over 40 companies and they couldn't get anything.. Thank God that I'm covered now..

Thanks for the update - who is the insurer on your policy now?

Back