Other gadget insurance

sunshimmer09

I know this company has been discussed before, but I believe they have improved their product, to include accidental damage and water damage. They don’t cover loss, but they advised this will come on board soon. I have 2 iphones his and mine and an ipad2.

Phones are covered with lifeline at a cost of €13.25 each a month (€318 a year). Ipad2 was covered on home all risk content but policy has just increased excess from €100 to €500 so that renders it useless.

For €139 gadget insurance will cover all 3 (and 2 more!) but just not for loss, max claim a year is €1000.

Has anyone else bought this product and even better claimed from this policy, looks like a good deal on paper??

These devices are still relatively low valued so I personally think it doesn't make a lot of sense to insure them. I would be more inclined to look at saving the premiums involved and putting the money by in case I lose or damage any of them and then put it towards a replacement in the unlikely (as I would estimate it in my own case) case of me losing or breaking them.

phones were €580 each sim free and the ipad around €500 so I wouldn't say they are low value items, iphones break so easily and it would be Murphys law I have them insured for over 10 months cancel and something happens so really don't want to take the risk!

Fair enough - I'd still be inclined to "self insure" such devices. On the other hand I wouldn't pay €500 for a phone, especially one that breaks easily and I'd be reluctant to walk about with €500-€1K worth of technology on me on a regular basis for several reasons.

It's worth shopping around and reading the small print on these type of insurance products.
(Generally they are very profitable for the sellers...)

I was looking at this today. Insure up to 5 items. Thing is..even with the top cover of €1,000 (total) wouldn't replace the items eg Laptop, ipod, smartphone, kindle, camera.

These insurance products are a profit cash cow for insurance companies. I wouldn't dream of using them. Have you checked extending all risk cover on home insurance?

Ok so it’s a max payment of €1000 per year, probability of breaking and theft of all 3 in one year is low. Ipad doesn’t leave the home, I just thinking of it falling off the table or dropping it and it breaking so would like that to be covered – seems it will be.
Just worried about iphone being stolen or water damaged or cracked screen this is covered as well. So I can break or have theft of 2 items a year, seems ok for the price.
I have all risk on home policy but the excess was just increased from €100 to €500 on policy and so can’t use it to cover these items, I’m shopping around for a new policy with lower excess but the premiums are very high ( I’ve never claimed on house policy either!!)
Going to do more research on it and read fine but it’s looking a like I might purchase.

Check out specified all-risks cover as a separate section of HH insurance, you might get lower excess, and pay a small add'l premium. Is your accidental damage cover excess 500 or just on the all risks section? If the general Acc. damage excess is lower and it covers electronic items it might be okay to leave it unspecified.

Back