Other Travel Insurance Query

Ravima

Person has travel insurance with Company A. It is an annual policy, renewable in April.

Holiday is booked in January for August.

At renewal, policy is not renewed. A new policy is taken out with Company B.

In July holiday must be cancelled for some insured reason.

To which policy is the claim presented? The one in force when holiday was booked, or the one in force at time holiday was cancelled?

the one in force when the holiday was cancelled. once policy A is lapsed the cover is gone.

Thanks PeteB.

Hypothetical query, but am considering changing insurers at renewal, so just wanted to be sure.

Be careful when changing providers when it comes to cancellation and curtailment cover.

If you book the holiday when the cover is with company A but the claim occurs whilst covered with company B, the cover for cancellation will usually not be covered as the second policy was not in force when the holiday was booked.

A lot of claims are turned down because of this. Same as those who take their cover out the night before going on holidays. The cover needs to be in force before the flights are booked.

Patrick

Be careful before you mislead people completly Patrick! People worry enough about travel insurance conditions as it is!

The second policy does not need to be in place when the holiday is booked. Travel insurance can be taken out at any time prior to travelling. Cover starts when you book the holiday or pay the insurance premium, whichever is the later.

Be careful before you mislead people completly Patrick! People worry enough about travel insurance conditions as it is!

The second policy does not need to be in place when the holiday is booked. Travel insurance can be taken out at any time prior to travelling. Cover starts when you book the holiday or pay the insurance premium, whichever is the later.

I post with the benefit of many years hindsight and experience from personal and professional experience. For complete cover one should have their travel insurance policy in place before the booking is made. I think my post was very clear. I come across people all the time that have claims turned down because they don't have followed some t&c's. My post was specific to the query raised and relates to cancellation and curtailment. Obviously different policies provide different cover eg some cover pre existing conditions while others don't - this is an important issue too. To ensure that one has best cover, they should consider buying a policy that covers pre existing conditions, doesn't have a €100k excess and there is no lapse in cover from year to year but then again most people don't do that.

Patrick

And i talk from professional experience and having doubled check policy wording before commenting so lets just leave it there.

I am at a loss here, which part of post is factually incorrect?

I have picked one random travel insurance policy wording:
Cover under the cancellation section of the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]policy, [/FONT][/FONT]starts from the date the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]certificate [/FONT][/FONT]is issued and ends at the start of [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Your trip. [/FONT][/FONT]The cover under all other sections of the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]policy, [/FONT][/FONT]starts at [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Your trip [/FONT][/FONT]departure and ends on [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Your [/FONT][/FONT]return [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]home [/FONT][/FONT]or expiry of the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]policy, [/FONT][/FONT]whichever is first.

Please explain how one would get a payout for cancellation cover where the cover has been bought AFTER a booking ?

"cover under the cancellation section of the policy, starts from the date the certificate is issued..........."

So if someone books a holiday on 1st Jan to travel on 1st March and purchases their cover on 1st Feb then any issue that gives rise to a cancellation after that date is fine.

If something were to develop before they purchased cover and it then became a pre-existing condition when they went to purchase the cover where would be a problem. But other than that it is fine.

You get a payout after making a booking because the policy allows it.

Back