cape cod

whackin

Myself and my boyfriend are planning a holiday in the states and have in mind to stay in Cape Cod area for a week. Could anyone recommend a good area of cape cod to stay in and advise as to the availability of good but reasonably priced accomodation there?

hi

Hyannis Port is a busy town on the Cape, I think you can get to Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket islands from there. And if you go to the tip, there's a colourful town called Provincetown, and you can go whale watching from there.

S

Hyannis is mid-cape and within easy reach of all areas on the cape. There are plenty of places to stay. However, watch out for July 4th as the few days either side of this will be exceptionally busy. Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Provincetown are great day trips to do. Enjoy.

Falmouth in Cape Cod is a great little town. Near to all day trips too. Not sure about accommodation as I stayed with relatives.
[broken link removed]

I am also looking for accommodation in Cape Cod - so any recommendations are appreciated.

Myself and my wife went on a day trip to Cape Cod when staying in Boston once - went to Provincetown. Its a nice pleasant seaside type of town.

One thing that should be pointed out is that the area is almost exclusively gay. When walking around the town, you could tell who the day trippers simply because we were they only straight couples or families in the town. You will also have to get used to the locals double taking when they see a straight couple walking down the street hand in hand (some look at you as if you have two heads). If you are not gay and you go there for a short visit and you know what to expect then you can regard it all as a bit of a novelty and have a good laugh. However, if you are staying there for a while and are expecting to go out at night, you will need to remember that you will not find any conventional bars/clubs - its 100% the gay scene.

Myself and my wife went on a day trip to Cape Cod when staying in Boston once - went to Provincetown. Its a nice pleasant seaside type of town.

One thing that should be pointed out is that the area is almost exclusively gay. When walking around the town, you could tell who the day trippers simply because we were they only straight couples or families in the town. You will also have to get used to the locals double taking when they see a straight couple walking down the street hand in hand (some look at you as if you have two heads). If you are not gay and you go there for a short visit and you know what to expect then you can regard it all as a bit of a novelty and have a good laugh.

Swop 'gay' for 'straight' above - presumably then your paragraph would describe every other place on the planet for a gay couple!

If you are looking for an area with the best beaches I would recommend Eastham. Some of the top ten beaches are on the national seashore there. There is no real town center so this would be good if you were not looking for nightlife. If you want a town center then I would recommend Falmouth. They have many restaurants and shops. The water is warmer and you can get a ferry to Marthas Vineyard-it takes 20 minutes. Some good sites for rentals are: www.weneedavacation.com, www.homeaway.com, www.cyberrentals.com, and www.VRBO.com. You will get good value with the current exchange rate. Good luck!

Hello

We were in Cape Cod in Oct 2007 for a holiday, and I previously lived there for 6 months in 2000. We stayed in the Sheraton Four Points in Hyannis, which i would definitely not recommend (very poor quality hotel)! If we had our time again, we would stay in the Hyannis Harbour Hotel - fantastic location on the waterfront, and very close to the town centre. Check out: http://www.hyannisharborhotel.com/.

Hyannis is definitely the prime spot in terms of location on the cape. You can get ferries directly from Hyannis to both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. Check out www.hyline.com

When booking our accommodation for our trip to the US we used both Priceline.co.uk and hotwire.com and managed to get some fantastic accommodation deals.

HTH

If you are going to one of the islands you might need to book accommodation well in advance. The whole Cape is flooded with tourists from Independence Day until Labour Day weekend.

Hyannis is probably your best bet as its central and has the port and airport for connections to Boston and the islands.

Provincetown is well worth a day trip too.

Thanks for all the tips folks. We are goinig there for a week wrapped around the 4th of July, Is it too much of a risk to take to leave accommodation until then? We are worried about booking each night's accommodation now as we don't want to be tied to somewhere we might not like.
We will definitely get to Provincetown. That be our sort of thing. (Any recommendations as to where to stay there?)

The Dunes in P-Town is a clean budget choice in a good location (508-487-2061-call for rates). Cape Cod in the summer (especially July 4th week) is packed; try to book lodging in advance if you can.

Back