Ulster Bank Systems Down, Many Left Without Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time

Surprised this has not been mentioned here yet as it has been ongoing since yesterday morning.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0621/ulster-bank-technology.html
Ulster Bank has said that some payments to customers and social welfare claimants may not be paid until tomorrow as it continues to try to solve technical problems.
Staff at branches across the country spent much of yesterday dealing with complaints
Ulster Bank has said that some payments to customers and Social Welfare claimants may not be paid until tomorrow as it continues to try to solve technical problems.
The fault, which emerged yesterday, also affected transactions at Natwest, its sister bank in Britain. The problem has been rectified in Britain, but is ongoing here.
The bank said it is in the process of contacting those organisations affected and says concerned customers should check their website for updates.
Staff at Ulster Bank headquarters and at branches across the country spent much of yesterday dealing with complaints and queries from customers.
The bank's website was also affected, with internet customers informed that account balances were not up to date and online services were unavailable.
That article does not tell the whole story of people being forced to leave shopping behind, not being able to pay for fuel. People are being left with no money. Are UB going to compensate those caused embarrassment?

This comment says it all:
yvonne · 1 hour ago
just had to give back all my shopping in tescos.. never so inbaressed had it in bags and in the trolly now at home with no food for the day.

It is a pretty serious breakdown of their systems alright. I am waiting for money to be credited to my account and would have been caught short if I hadn't read about this last night and took cash out of another account.

This is nothing short of a thundering disgrace & as per previous posts is causing serious upset in peoples lives right now. UB have told me they 'dont know ' when it will be sorted !! They have also confirmed that they will not provide temporary facilities to those affected & left without any money.Who the hell do they think they are ? Not good enough by a country mile......

There is probably a link to my experience of lately. I do not have a account with Ulster Bank but on 1st June i paid my Tesco Visa Card via electronic transfer from my personal account. The money has to date not been credited to my Tesco account even though the funds were transferred. Tesco Finance informed me that there holding account is with RBS(subsidiary Ulster Bank) and that they are manually trying to unravel thousands of payments. Tesco Finance have now changed to a new sortcode and account number so presumably with differant bank. In fairness i get a phone call everyday from Tesco Finance to inform me that it is still not sorted!!!!

This was discussed on 5:7 live today and it seems that not just UB but Nat west (is it) and RBS systems were all effected with UB being the only one still down.

It seems if one goes the lot goes, no ring fencing for any of them and it seems no 'backup' files/system which is amazing.

That is a rough interpetation of what was said

This didnt happen today or yesterday, this is going on the last 9 days. I have received phonecalls from tesco Finance each day to tell me each time it will be fixed tomorrow. In the meantime my credit card account is frozen. As far as i am concerned the problem in the UK is not sorted as Tesco Finance cannot get access to their holding account with RSB to receive payments.

this is definitely going on longer than they are saying.. i used my ulster bank debit card 3 times saturday buying fathers days pressies and looked at the a/c monday on line to check my balance, these have not come out yet and they would usually show on a monday after weekend use.. i lodged cash on the 19th and thats showed today but i also did an express lodgement of a cheque and that is not showing on the a/c yet.. it would usually show as a ldogement a couple of hours later.

Yes their systems seem to be all over the place. I used my Visa Debit card today for a small transaction and my balance reflects this. However I made an ATM withdrawal in London on Monday evening which has not shown up yet... Evidence that the fault has been present for most of the week.

Tried purchase online using my UB visa debit on Tues night. Failed 5 times.
Eventually contacted UB who blamed the VENDORS system.
Next used AIB laser card --no problem.

Few mins ago just purchased an item from ebay paying thru paypal and went thru no bother and showing up on UB a/c as been called down.

Seems its not across the board that customers are having problems... unless its all fixed now but nowt on the 9pm news to that effect.

On line bank still not updated,still have not got paid,due to have been paid monthly on Thursday,cannot transfer any money into my mortgage account either,how long is this fiasco going to last for?
In this day and age this is simply not on.

It is pretty disgraceful alright. For a bank to have a 'technical problem' of this nature and this size is completely unacceptable. Sounds like a complete breakdown of both the system and their back up procedures. Of course one has to wonder if it is simply a technical hitch or if something more sinister was at work.

Silence from both Ulster Bank and also the Regulator is pretty shocking.

Yes, we have allowed ourselves to be controlled by machines.

We have allowed them to control us with machines. When I was a young fella I could bring my deposit book to my local branch. I don't remember ever using other branches so probably was forced to keep one main branch which was in my locality so didn't bother me anyway. I didn't have an ATM card so I had to plan in advance when I needed money. So I had to be in the branch during it's opening hours to get any money but there was no chance of getting into debt or spending too much and there was no chance they wouldn't give me what's mine. Now banks like Permanent TSB refuse to even give me a deposit book. They don't do them any more. So we have to put our faith in some corruptable electronic records and what kind of humor some machines are in....

Good news for those caught up in the Ulster Bank Trap

Ulster Bank have just informed me that if you go to your branch with the following;

1. Current payslip
2. Photo ID
3. Proof of Account ie lazer card etc

You can then withdraw your salaries/social payments that are currently lost in cyberspace

I believe the Government are behind this. Its a trial run for when we pull out of the Euro....

I believe the Government are behind this. Its a trial run for when we pull out of the Euro....
A very accommodating RBS group if this was the case then ...given the reputational damage that they will suffer as a direct consequence of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back