Size of road water pipe?

johneym

hello,

I need to connect a pipe onto the road mains. Anyone know the thickness of the mains? It was a private water scheme done 15 years ago in a rural area with few houses.
Might the mains have some kind of protective surround or is it likely to be just heavy gauge hydradare on its own? And what depth was normal then?

Lastly, whats the normal size pipe to take off it for a dwelling?

Thanks a lot in advance,

John

600mm deep is the usual depth and that should be adhered too,but you never know who put it in.

Some people install mains water pipe only a few inches below ground and think that thats fine when its clearly not.

3/4 inch heavy guage hydrodare is used for the houses in my location as IW recently made a mess of my water meter instalation and had to dig it back and dig up part of my driveway to actually replace the part of the pipe that they crushed and to prevent it from leaking.
You could be 1/2 inch hydrodare though so you need to get this clarified with the company or people who installed and mainatin this group water scheme.

thanks to all who replied. Its an old derelict bungalow which I am renovating with the intention of living there with my family when its all finished. It is the very last house on a tiny by road, 2 metres wide. All the houses on this road got connected 15 years ago to the private scheme when it came. There was only the connection charge and there has been no charge since.
So, now the council took over 1 year ago.So I applied to the council. But, now thay no longer control it either as officially its controlled by irirsh water. Its miles out the country and its a tiny water scheme. The council man came out and ranted for ages as their hands are tied and he cannot do anything. Irish water says they do not know when they will be in a position to give me a connection or even a connection estimate!! I am left in limbo. The council man told me to connect myself in the meantime but I didnt hear it from him, and sort it out later with irish water. Chances are he said they would not care and just stick a meter in it. At the moment no one has metres on this road. Council man also said he has heard they will be looking for a min fee of 2000 euro for a connection. Anyway I need at least a temporary connection to the house as building works are going on. It all seems to be in limbo at the moment.

thanks to all who replied. Its an old derelict bungalow which I am renovating with the intention of living there with my family when its all finished. It is the very last house on a tiny by road, 2 metres wide. All the houses on this road got connected 15 years ago to the private scheme when it came. There was only the connection charge and there has been no charge since.
So, now the council took over 1 year ago.So I applied to the council. But, now thay no longer control it either as officially its controlled by irirsh water. Its miles out the country and its a tiny water scheme. The council man came out and ranted for ages as their hands are tied and he cannot do anything. Irish water says they do not know when they will be in a position to give me a connection or even a connection estimate!! I am left in limbo. The council man told me to connect myself in the meantime but I didnt hear it from him, and sort it out later with irish water. Chances are he said they would not care and just stick a meter in it. At the moment no one has metres on this road. Council man also said he has heard they will be looking for a min fee of 2000 euro for a connection. Anyway I need at least a temporary connection to the house as building works are going on. It all seems to be in limbo at the moment.

Forgot to say that 3/4 inch and 1/2 in Hydrodare will be black plastic pipe.It will usually have a green line going along it and also have the length and also the size of it printed on it every meter or so.

If you come accross a pipe that is yellow that will be GAS but I doubt there will be gas pipe based on the location you describe.

Any red ducting you come accross will usually be ESB underground cables,the red ducting is also sometimes used by the likes of Eircom and other telecoms and networking companies to run in structured networking,phone lines and also fibre optic cables.

How are you going to connect, can you isolate it and cut it ?

A ratchet pipe cutter,fast fit pipe bung/cap or stop cock and a pipe clamp arent that hard to buy in a builders providers or a plumbers merchants.They aint that expensive either.
You can buy them in BnQ at the weekend if you are stuck and if you have a trade card (like me) then you get another 10% off the price there.

But the OP should really conctact the installers of the group water scheme 1st or contact the people who actually maintain it and see what they say.OP had no luck with the local CC and the CC lad said to contact IW
The OP will be waiting quite a while for IW to assist him but Im sure they will be very quick to hound him for money when they do eventually stick a water meter on.

The mains tend to be 4 inch pipes, well they are around here, with a half inch pipe going to each house.

Back