Changing Solicitor

How easy is it to change your Solicitor.
Inherited my Solicitor from my father and now I would like to change. He has my Will and Property Deeds.
Will there be any charges for doing so. Thanks.

should be no issue as you don't seem to have any outstanding/ongoing business with him that need fees paid etc.
Generally the problem arises when you want to switch mid-case, which means he needs to be paid and the process seems to be that the "client files" are passed directly from the old to the new, without the client seeing them.
At least that is what happened in a case I was involved with.

Of course you are allowed to change. And there is no cost to changing.

Is there a particular reason you are changing. Is this solicitor has been efficient than you ought to think about not changing.

How easy is it to change your Solicitor.
Inherited my Solicitor from my father and now I would like to change. He has my Will and Property Deeds.
Will there be any charges for doing so. Thanks.

As easy as 1,2,3.

1. Lift phone, call and say you'll be in to pick up your Will and Deeds.
2. Make an appointment to do it.
3. Pick them up.

Now that you have your will and deeds at home, you can decide whether you need a solicitor at all.

Most solicitors don't want your deeds at all - in times of rapid client turnover , ( a lot just looking for the cheapest price on every one off transaction) all a solicitor is doing is providing clients with a free safety deposit box.

mf

Now that you have your will and deeds at home, you can decide whether you need a solicitor at all.

I know you don't want to be be free storage ! but keeping important documents at home is not advisable. And I thought solicitors didn't mind being free storage boxes for wills as they have a good chance of getting that lucrative probate.

"as they have a good chance of getting that lucrative probate."

By no means certain.

mf

Thanks for all the replys. Other family members had my Solicitor and left him so I'm the last. Nice guy but very slow on dealing with issues.

Back