bad roads and suspension problems

galleyslave

ok, so both my car and my wives car have had to have serious money spent on them in the last 12 months due to suspension problems caused, no doubt, by the appalling roads. Never had this problem before. My question is this - what car can best handle the crap roads we find ourselves on. I should add these are rural backroads I drive so are riddled with potholes and makeshift repairs.
I'm thinking either decent cars that are cheap to maintain or tough enough that they won't break easily. Tough ask I'm sure, but any suggestions. I'll further add that I'm not in a position to pay a fortune in road tax each year

Stay away from sports suspension and low profile tyres.

You might need to be more specific about your budget.

To expand on AlbacoreA's point, go for larger profile tyres and longer suspension travel. 4x4s would be ideal but might not meet your cheap to maintain criteria.
Leo

To expand on AlbacoreA's point, go for larger profile tyres and longer suspension travel. 4x4s would be ideal but might not meet your cheap to maintain criteria.
Leo

sorry for the belated reply. I've neither sports suspension or low profile tyres. I guess I'm looking for something tough and with my luck (potential gearbox issue now, I'm even more keen to sort something

Land Rover Defender (2nd hand UK import) 2WD or 4WD, Petrol or Diesel, long or short wheelbase versions available also commercial or passenger editions

Daihatsu Terios (petrol only) 2WD or 4WD - http://www.daihatsu.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=8052&parentID=8040

Skoda Yeti - [broken link removed]

Suzuki SX4, petrol or diesel, 2WD or 4WD - [broken link removed]

the bit about a fortune in road tax is still relevent *g* barring a 30 yr old defender I can't see the rest being cheap

I believe an Avensis has a very durable suspension.

But I do like sustanon's suggestion

mpg would be an issue with sustanons suggestion.. I suspect the road tax would be a kiler also... *g*

Back