How long does it take to settle into new job?

Commute is not the issue for me at all. Its they actual job I do.....dont know if I should give myself more time to adapt. Really think they employed the wrong person for the job :confused:

Ok- here is an update on this. Have kind of settled into the place and am just starting to get to know the people. The job itself is ok and I will have no problem with the work and could do quite well there. The commute, however, is another matter. Its anything from an hour and a half up to one hour forty five minutes each way on public transport. Yesterday, I was waiting for the bus in the freezing cold at 7.20am, thinking, I can't do this. It's killing me, especially as my last job was a 10-15 minute drive each way.

Anyway, I have been offered something else a lot nearer home. I have a verbal offer, so will wait to see what comes through on the contract. It will be a max of twenty-twenty five minute drive each way. I also feel I would prefer the role overall. They are to send me though a contract and if this comes through, then I have a decision to make.

I feel terrible even thinking about leaving given that I am only there a couple of months. Problem with me is that I hate letting people down. They are not going to be happy bunnies if I hand in my notice. Anybody else I talk to says I am mad not to jump on this one.

It definitely took me 3 months when I was transferred to a new location within the same company. Hated it and then loved it.

Would agree with the six months timescale. It can also quite often take a while for you to mould the job and introduce new processses to your way of doing things.

What ever makes you happy. I'd be wary of switching too soon because it is easy to fall into a pattern of moving jobs after short periods. I went threw a stage where over 2 years I had worked in 5 different places.

Thanks for that - I have been six years in my previous job, I just cant handle the commute in this one. The job itself is ok, in fairness. Probably not the time to move, but I am miserable and feel I have no life outside work. It is really getting to me.

Just to further update. Have had a bad week last week travelling, so have decided to jump ship. Life is too short to commute and I am miserable.

Just to further update. Have had a bad week last week travelling, so have decided to jump ship. Life is too short to commute and I am miserable.

Good luck with it! I had to take a new job a couple of months ago and I was ready to walk after two weeks of sheer...well, it wasn't heaven, I can tell you. Now it's a great little earner (read "credit crunch busting income supplement") and I work with some great people. It's not my career of choice but it more than does for now.

It's not easy settling into a new workplace, I couldn't do your commute, that would kill me. So good luck with the jump, I hope it works out for you.

It sounds like the right decision for you. Life's too short to be miserable in your job if you can change it.
Best of luck!

Very best of luck with it. As others have said life is too short to be completely miserable in a job. It sounds like you have made the decision that is right for you and that is what counts.

Back