Car hire US

D

Ding Dong

I have been searching various sites for car hire in California.
Thrifty seem good until extra charges are added in..
Any recommendations? Looking for a large convertible for coast drive.. Thanks

Recently used ebookers.ie who inturn brokered for Budget, the price I saw was what I paid.

Would use again and would recommend both ebookers and Budget.

i used hertz. they are fine, no problems

its essential that you get GPS though but as a poster a few weeks ago said its best to buy one there in wal mart etc for 100 dollars and u cud take it whenever u need it as to rent it would cost nearly that anyway

its essential that you get GPS though but as a poster a few weeks ago said its best to buy one there in wal mart etc for 100 dollars and u cud take it whenever u need it as to rent it would cost nearly that anyway
I disagree.

If you can't drive on the roads in the States there is no hope for you.

I disagree.

If you can't drive on the roads in the States there is no hope for you.

so you can drive around the suburbs of LA without getting lost. yes its possible if you want to spend hours at it and waste loads of time

Everyone got lost before sat nav did they?

driving around LA, im sure they did. you can buy sat nav for 100 euro that will do you for all your holidays. are you saying bluetonic thats its not worth this. im sure the OP would like the peace of mind of being told when to prepare for getting off a 6 lane chock a block highway in LA rather than trying to read a map at the same time, missing the exit and having to spend hours in traffic again

Try NovaCarHire.com
I have used them on numerous occasions in the US and have found them competitive.
Good for baby seats and the likes also.

you can buy sat nav for 100 euro that will do you for all your holidays. are you saying bluetonic thats its not worth this.
I'd say spending 100 euro for something you can easily achieve with 0 expenditure would not make it not worth it alright - for me that is, I can't put a value on 'worth' for anyone esle. If you feel more comfortable with sat nav then bang on, I'm saying it's easy to drive and not get lost with out sat nav in the states.

I'll second that. They know how to do signage over there. If you're worried about getting lost in the suburbs you could always buy a street atlas. But if sat nav is your thing, by all means go for it. I wouldn't rent one though if you can buy for 100.

I'd say spending 100 euro for something you can easily achieve with 0 expenditure would not make it not worth it alright - for me that is, I can't put a value on 'worth' for anyone esle. If you feel more comfortable with sat nav then bang on, I'm saying it's easy to drive and not get lost with out sat nav in the states.

Try driving around San Fran and you will have great timewithout Sat Nav.
Even with Sat Nav had problems due to signal loss between buildings.
I have done many road trips around the world without Sat Nav and it is fine where roads are not that wide like Californian freeways and the cities aren't that big and sprawling like LA.

Also Sat nav helps you avoid certain areas that putting it politely are best avoided.

go there a lot and have used auto europe, argus, usrentacar.co.uk, skycars.co.uk have used carhire3000 as well. Did the drive SF to LA in Mustang too.

Have bought a cheap Tom Tom in Walmart and found it invaluable, makes getting around anywhere so easy !! it just works so well there, great to be able to be in right lane in time to exit.

Agree with Bluetonic - No need for GPS unless your into 'must have' gadets.
Got around San Fran, LA, San Diego and their suburbs last summer with a road map, a good sense of direction and attention to freeway exits (excellent advance signposting). With the exception of downtown San Fran cities on the West Coast are laid out in blocks and streets running North/South, East/West which makes it very easy to navigate.

Rented a car in Feb with Hertz , found that best rate was via Aer Lingus site, billed in € ( don't need to fly IE) , Aer France site offers +- same rates and has more US destinations on offer . I got LA pick up and dropped off in San Fran with no extra charge. I has expecting that direct booking in USD would be cheaper but it was much more expensive .
I love SatNav ... need it in EU but not in USA.
pjq

I rented a car in NJ last week and the best rate i find is through hertz.ie - you can prepay for everything including insurance etc. in advance. If you book through hertz.com they give you a base price and then keep adding on insurance and taxes and everything else when you get there.
Tracy www.shopusa.ie

"Have bought a cheap Tom Tom in Walmart and found it invaluable, makes getting around anywhere so easy !! it just works so well there, great to be able to be in right lane in time to exit."

this is a good point. look if people think the sat nav is not worth 100 euro then buy the new iphone, it has sat nav built in :)

in all honesty, i think that its worth it just for peace of mind. driving through LA suburbs and their terrible traffic is still very very difficult without gps and anyone who says otherwise is lying

Back