Storing daff and tulip bulbs

avs0020

Hi everyone. Due to economy I have noble intentions of saving money by pulling up and storing my spring flowering bulbs. It would really help if I knew how to do it? Here's what I dont know:
  1. When is the best time to pull them up?
  2. Do I trim off shoots and roots?
  3. Do I seperate bulblets?
  4. How do I store them ?
  5. Should I dust them with a fungicide and, if yes, does anyone know a name and source of a fungicide? (I live on the border of Cork & Kerry in a fairly rural setting so Dublin suppliers only work if they sell online).
Thanks so much for any advice available.

Daffodils and most other bulbs can be left and in fact do better if you leave them in the ground, let the old foliage die back (don't tie them up), but dead head them as the flowers fade. Dig up the tulips and throw them out as they never do good the second year, only one out of ten might flower properly the second year. I have tried digging tulips up, shaking off excess soil and storing in a cool dry place over Summer (no need for fungicide) and then planting them again in November but with poor results. Just buy new ones! Hyacinths are the only ones I shake off soil (leave any little roots), and store over Summer for re-planting. I usually put them in a brown paper bag, not plastic, as that only encourages condensation etc. Again no need for fungicide.

As ophelia has mentioned, you'd be better off saving the money you'd spend on fungicide and spending it on getting new tulips each year. The species tulips (the very tall ones) tend to deteriorate and fade away after a couple of years if left in the soil all year (although given your location they may survive). Better off to get the Darwinia and Kaufmania tulips (smaller, most of them have stripy leaves and goblet-shaped flowers) as these are much hardier and will multiply quickly if left in the ground all year round.

Thanks to Sherman and Ophelia. I think I am relieved at your advice. Happy gardening!

While I agree with almost everything said, my tulips stay in the ground all year long and flower every year and are now on their 5th year and in full bloom.

Am of the opinion Tulips last seven years (mine just open for the third year) never did a thing to them after planting.

As for daffs, this year as soon as they started coming up i dug them up and separated them as they had def spread last year. All flowered.

Bluebells the same. tried snowdrops this year for the first time. bit disappointing considering the price of them.

Back