Where to put washing machine?

Jay1981

I only had room for a washing machine and dryer and now i've just won a dishwasher in a draw. I want to put either the tumble dryer or washing maching under the stairs to make room for the dishwasher. Which would work the best for having under the stairs.
Jay

Since the washing machine requires a water connection - I'd imagine it'd be a lot less hassle putting the dryer under the stairs..

You'll need a socket, water supply and an outlet for the waste pipe for your washing machine whereas you'll only need a socket for your tumble dryer if it's the condenser type.

Hi

Would you not need to put a hole in the wall for the vent for the dryer?

Regards

Hizzy

Thanks for that bren1916

I was actually looking to get a dryer, but was told that I would need to put a vent out through the wall.

Regards

Hizzy

Get a condenser dryer if you don't want the hole in the wall, as has been mentioned over and over above. :)

A washer dryer would solve all the problems as there would be no need to put anything under the stairs

congratulations on winning a dishwasher.
Put the dryer under the stairs and try not to use it! they use a lot of electricity.

The dryer i have is vented and if i put it understairs i will have to drill a hole to exstend on to the existing duckting. Understairs area has a waste pipe going through it. Was thinking mabe the washing machine would be better there but still have to drill hole for hot and cold lines. Winning this thing has caused a headache!!

Have you a garage or a shed and put one of them or even both out there. Mine are in shed and its the best place for them and the endless stream of washing and drying!

If you've managed up to now without a dishwasher you would probably be better off selling it alright.

I often wonder if they're not more trouble than they're worth. We usually do the pots separately. The tablets are expensive enough or worse again is separate powder and rinse aid. Its a pain loading and unloading and you need to be careful about type of dishes and cutlery that do go into it.

If you've managed up to now without a dishwasher you would probably be better off selling it alright.

I often wonder if they're not more trouble than they're worth.
You are joking Sue, they are the best invention ever. well apart from the "lazy boy" :D

Have a think about the hot and cold for the washing machine. Seemingly washing machine use very little from the hot supply, the usually just fill up the pipes from the hotpress to the machine rather than the machine. You may only need cold which is simpler plumbing. having the washer and dryer beside each other is handy though.
If you already have a vent for the dryer I'd tend to leave it in place, unless you could move both under the stairs and have a real utility. My house has washer and dryer under the stairs and they both fit lovely.
Is there anything else you can move from your kitchen to make place for the dishwasher? Maybe one of the normal cupboards could go?

Lucky sod on winning the dishwasher!

There is a bracket arrangement that I've seen where the dryer can be put over the washing machine. This would keep your under stairs space free and avoid having to re-plumb/re-wire. I don't remember where I've seen it but I have seen it several times on different sites. Perhaps other AAMers can give you a link?
The bracket should be cheaper to buy and install than re-wiring/re-plumbing!

Ms_Frugal

I only had room for a washing machine and dryer and now i've just won a dishwasher in a draw. I want to put either the tumble dryer or washing maching under the stairs Jay

Am I missing something - in the space of one day and during the posting of this query you went ahead and got a dryer or did you have it anyway?

You mean apart from the fact that hizzy isn't Jay1981? ;)

Back