anyone know anything about sun/light tunnel

greengrass64

Hi

Does anyone know anything about sun/light tunnels? I came accross them on the internet.
WE have a dark kitchen, so we might need a few.
Just wondering if anyone know anything about them?
Thanks

Yeah, I've seen them in a few houses and they're great. They sit like a bubble on the roof of the house and reflect light the whole way down to the room inside. Companies like Velux and Fakro make them. The links below will be be of benefit.

[broken link removed]

http://www.fakro.com/htmle/164.php

Anyone know if these tunnels can be wall mounted? I need to get natural light into a basement hallway. It's too far from the roof to use a conventional roof mounted tunnel, but close to a sunny outside wall.

Hi

Does anyone know anything about sun/light tunnels? I came accross them on the internet.
WE have a dark kitchen, so we might need a few.
Just wondering if anyone know anything about them?
Thanks

Greengrass, I should have suggested to you that you could do what we did in our kitchen. The kitchen ceiling is flat but the roof outside is sloped. I got a builder to put in a Fakro roof window (almost identical to Velux) and he brought 4 sides of plasterboard down to meet the ceiling. A very standard job for any half decent builder or carpenter. If you can do this, it's a much better way to go.

Just two bits of advice - go for the biggest size window you can and get him to put insulation behind the plasterboard or to use insulated plasterboard.

Our kitchen is north facing. We went for a 114cm x 118cm window and the difference is incredible. The links below will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Good luck.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

I spend more time in other peoples houses than I do in my own.

I've seen light tunnels put into rooms I think they are the way to go.

Just make sure who ever puts it in knows what they are doing.

Thanks for all the replies.

Lex, you mentioned your kitchen is northfacing, did you get the velux to face south? The kitchen here is also north facing, could get a velux facing south but, it would not be directly over the kitchen, it would be at an angle.

Thanks for all the replies.

Lex, you mentioned your kitchen is northfacing, did you get the velux to face south? The kitchen here is also north facing, could get a velux facing south but, it would not be directly over the kitchen, it would be at an angle.

Meant to post reply here but, instead, accidently sent it by PM to your PM.

can anyone tell me where you can buy one of these sun tunnels and how much it might cost to fit one in a bungalow and if there is any issue with them leaking after being fitted

I'm interested in this thread as I'm considering the same for a new internal bathroom. I came across this site when I did a google search and was impressed as it included a solar powered (Photo-votaic) ventilation system too. I haven't actually priced it yet or checked reviews but I thought the basic idea was good. Here's the site:

www.sola-vent.com

And no, before anyone asks, I have no commercial connection with this company; I am simply an interested potential customer! :)

i put one into our upstairs corridor to provide natural light..went with velux..wife was very wary of getting it installed but now is quite impressed as it gives brilliant light into the corridor (20 feet long) and i'm delighted with it too..i think the total bill was 450-500 euros, i got the largest size possible.

Back