decorating costs

keegan1

Hi. I have just put a deposit on a new build. I have agreed with the builder that he will give me an allowance for the kitchen, wardrobes and fireplace and I will then pick my own(and probably upgrade from what the builder was going to put in). Its a 3 bed approx 1245sq ft. My question is approximately how much will it cost to completely decorate(including installing the kitchen which is quite small and the bedroom wardrobes and fireplace).

2 rooms have walk in wardrobes(size of a small ensuite), other bedroom will need a built in double wardrobe. Kitchen is small and three sided(i like the look of some of the homebase and b&q kitchens but i'm not sure what the quality is like). the overall house is approx 1300 sq ft. 3 double bedrooms, 2 ensuites(bigger than a main bathroom) and a separate main bathroom. I'm talking everything(sofas, beds, table chairs, blinds(lots of windows), allsoft furnishings etc). Its really just a ball park figure im looking for. I know to an extent its like asking how long is a piece of string. Even a rough figure without the wardrobes because I more or less have them organised. thanks

Here's a guide to work with,

Bedroom, €2000, to include carpet, double bed, blind, curtains. bedside table, lights etc. by 3 = €6000.

Kitchen, €8000, to include cupboards, kitchen table, chairs, Floor covering, lights. blind and curtain. other white goods.

Bathroom, €2000, to include fittings, shower unit etc. blind, floor. by 3= €6000

Sitting Room, €10000, to include suite, carpet, cabinets, coffee table, lights, blind, curtains, TV, etc.

You didn't mention dining room or conservatory?

If you allow another €5000 for workman to install the various pieces kitchen etc. you would be looking at a figure of €40000 which should cover everything including hall floor and lights.

On top of that you would need to include for paint/painter.

That would be my estimate. You could add or subtract from that depending on what you need.

Swallows quote is way too high IMHO, especially for the bedrooms/ sitting room. I did all my house (3-bed terraced, 3 double bedrooms/3 bathrooms) for approx €20,000. Shop around, a great time to get good quality items for a good price.

Others will say it's too low. And that's the problem, it's impossible to give a quantitative answer to this question.
Leo

Based on the size of the house (1245 sq feet), I think €20,000 is ample. Obviously if you want to put in a kitchen worth €15,000 then it wouldn't be enough. But in these tough times I think people are a little bit more budget aware and sensible. I think it depends on the budget and I don't think the OP would have posted this thread if it was limitless.

You have to be realistic with what it takes to start from scratch in a new build. Simply everything has to be bought even down to the dishcloth, and unless you go for very cheap items €20000 wont go far. My quote is a very loose guide for someone to work from, if the poster was to,
for example, take one bathroom and go out and price the furniture then it would give him a guide of how much it would cost. This is probably how best to start and work on from there in a systematic manner doing the same for each room. Obviously it depends on type of house to be furnished. My experience is based on a detached bungalow, but now that the poster has two prices to look at he can estimate his spend.

thanks for your replies. I will find out tomorrow what allowance I am getting from the builder for the kitchen/bedroom built in wardrobes and fireplace. Does anybody have any idea what the approximate allowance would be, taking into consideration that the purchase price is €520k. Excluding the allowance that we will get I have approximatly €37000 to spend on top of that. I just have this feeling that although it seems like a lot that we will eat in to it really fast. Any reccomendations on a decent place to buy a modern contemporary kitchen. Tahnks again

Hey everyone. This thread is very helpful but I'm wondering if anyone can help me. We've put a deposit on a new build and we're trying to figure out approx how much it will cost to decorate it. It's a 4 bed 1470sq ft house but one of the beds will be used as a study room. Our kitchen is fitted out with all appliances and cupboards etc. and en suite and 2 other bathrooms are complete with floors. So basically we're looking to find out an approx price for semi solid floors all downstairs, carpets on stairs and upstairs, furniture and paints. Obviously prices will differ according to tastes etc but any feedback would be great just to give us some idea of an average of what it will cost! Thanks!

Back