Black tiled ensuite

Iwishiwish

Hi!
Complete beginner at home decoration here and ALOT of decisions to be made in a small amount of time so please bare with my million questions!

I was hoping to tile my ensuite in black tiles nearly completely because it's my one and want it to be a bit OTT and glamorous. All the other bathrooms will be neautral enough so would like to go all out on my one.
Only problem is I'm getting cold feet because reading online people have stated that they're awful to keep clean and don't recommend black tiles at all.

Do you have any real like experience with black tiles in a bathroom? Are they really that bad? The room is quite small but I was thinking a high glass tile and white sanitary ware would make it liveable. Any opinions welcome!

I recently refit my ensuite. There is a feature area in the shower where the tiles are dark purple - some people when they see it first say black. The other tiles are light in colour. I can see all the streak marks from the water/shampoo/shower gel on those tiles more so than I ever did with the white tiles that were there before. So yes there is a bit more cleaning.
Also keep in mind if the room is small and you tile it black it will look even smaller.

I think the worst tile in a bathroom is black, yeck. And for a small room it is completly the wrong colour as previous poster advised. Go over the top if you want, nothing wrong with that, but not black. Have a look at some of the glossy magazines on bathrooms for ideas, or someone else can post on here their ideas. Or go to some of the glitzy hotels, the reception rooms in the G hotel in Galway are memorable for example, maybe Philip Tracey could give you inspiration.

I have black tiles, yes you see the streaks more, but they are very easy to clean and look good, ours is also a small bathroom. In my mind if you see the dirt on them and wipe them down thats a good thing.

It does make you bathroom look smaller and gives it a very male look.

I can't post links yet do can't show you exactly what I'm after. I'm a bit addicted to interior magazines and spend my life on Houzz so am a bit sick if beige and brown bathrooms to be honest. That's why I want a dramatic ensuite. Just in two minds whether i'll regret a totally black bathroom in a year.

I was blown away by a black-tiled bathroom in a showroom (they had high-gloss black subway tiles), it looked amazing. One thing that struck me was how reflective the tiles are, they are nearly like a mirror so they don't seem dark at all. So in terms of it making the room feel smaller I wouldn't worry on that score. In fact, especially if it's an en-suite, I think it sounds fab! (And I am with you on the undesirability of beige bathrooms, it never made sense to me. My own is white).

It was a few years ago, but the showroom one I saw was in B&Q in Liffey Valley, it might be worth giving them a ring to see if they still have it up, and if they do maybe you could go and see it in person. (BTW, this is not in any way a recommendation for B&Q products! I would not recommend them!)

black tile floor i cant seem to find any decent images but if your tiling the floor black/dark, you may want a light wall colour, unless the space is massive, also consider going with small tiles,

something like this?
[broken link removed]

or

96%7C000009732%7Cf72b_orh550w550_black-shower-room.jpg

It's a ridiculous way to explain but if you google 'black tiled bathroom' and look at the 5th and 10th image you'd get an idea!!
Highly reflective tiles, big mirror, simple white sanitary ware.
I've seen some black patterned tiles that I think will be nice as an accent.
I had slate tiles in a kitchen in a house I rented and they really were a nightmare!

Think that one is lovely. Love subway tiles and thanks for the recommendation! Haven't seen pininterest before!

In the 5th google image the bathroom has what looks like natural light. In the 10th one, its been artificially lit to take the photo - plus the white tiles are relecting a lot of light, and in the one on pininterest there is an extremely good light source as well.

How well lit will your ensuite be? Does it have a natural source of light?

I like the idea of a black and white bathroom. In terms of keeping clean, glossy tiles of any colour are a pain to keep clean, but you could get a matt finish on the floor tiles? I personally love the black tiles with a sparkle in them that they have on the walk into the cinemas in Dundrum, very rich feel to them (theyre glossy).

If you google in images just 'black bathroom' I think the first one is fabulously gothic - huge space though!

Think that one is lovely. Love subway tiles and thanks for the recommendation! Haven't seen pininterest before!

Pinterest is great if you're gathering ideas, you can have as many individual boards as you like (say "bathroom", "bedroom", "trees", whatever), you can repin from other pinners (it's very searchable) or pin from any website you come across. If you're still trying to hone your bathroom plan it would definitely be worth signing up to (it's free).

It's naturally lit. There's a big enough window (2ftx2.5ft maybe?) so very bright for the size of the room (not a clue what size it is really, small enough tho)

Natural light is a big bonus.

What are you going to do with the window, shades, curtains, colours etc?

Back