Anyone see Rice for less than 1.19 Euro Per Kg in Dublin?

bullworth

Every supermarket I walk into seems to have a common minimum price for rice for the last few years.

1.19 Euro for a Kilogram bag seems to be the minimum. I haven't had much success browsing the various ethnic stores either although I have picked up some relative bargains on other items.

If anyone can advise me where in Dublin I can find a better price please let us know. I don't mind buying in bulk/buying a large 10kg bag etc as it will be used eventually.

Even on the way home today I popped into a Tescos and next to their bags of rice they had a sticker ''proudly'' proclaiming that their 1 Kg of rice matched the Aldi/Lidl price.
If they undercut the price that would be a reason to put a sticker on the thing... but thats probably more suited for letting off steam. I am still searching and still nothing less than 1.19 Euro per Kg can be found in Dublin.

bullworth,

Have you tried the new Indian/Asian food market out beside Liffey Valley? It is beside Power City in the Fonthill Retail park. They sell large bags of rice but I have no idea how much they are. The shop is always very busy with Asians and Irish stocking up and buying in bulk.

Hi RonanC

No I never heard of it. I am rarely out in that direction. Do you go there often ? If so perhaps you could look at the price of a bag of rice and report back ?

Hi RonanC

No I never heard of it. I am rarely out in that direction. Do you go there often ? If so perhaps you could look at the price of a bag of rice and report back ?

I might be down that way tomorrow, if so I'll pop in a check them out for you.

A lot of Asian stores sell rice loose so it might be cheaper that way? Haven't bought it that way in a while but used to in the Asian Food Company, Mary St.

I checked a few local asian stores. I was looking for Bastmati rice but it was cheaper in the supermarkets. Cheapest Bamati is now €1.49/kg (SuperValue and Tescos) and its €1.89/kg in Dunnes, Lidl and Aldi. It was greater €10 for a 5kg bag in the asian stores. However im not sure that "ethnic" customers can possible haggle a better deal than the headline price. I dont do haggle.

I might be down that way tomorrow, if so I'll pop in a check them out for you.

Thanks RonanC. I am wondering if rice has a negligible margin everywhere or whether the price is being unspokenly fixed. From Google , rice seems to be a lot cheaper per Kg in places like Egypt. You never see rice here even at 1.18 Euro per Kg yet Tesco makes a big deal out of matching the Aldi/Lidl price of 1.19 Euro/Kg , something I find absurd. Brown rice has a premium above this but competition seems to be also lacking there.

I will keep an eye open over the weekend and much further. I am glad this thread sparked some interest. Theres a lot to be said for finding the lowest price for healthy staples such as rice which store well especially in a recession.

healthy staples such as rice which store well especially in a recession.

Hope you're opting for the brown rice :) It may be more expensive but I've been eating rice for too long and would definitely prefer Uncle Bens of all the different brands.

I agree it is very, very expensive but worth the extra IMHO and I would use quite a bit of rice each week.

I dont' think theres much difference in taste for the price if your goal is to eat on a prudent budget especially since the flavors in the meals I make would come from the portion of the food added to the rice. I found my rice improved siginficantly once I left behind this ''boil in the bag'' idea and put the rice loose into a pot.

I checked some Asian/Ethnic stores around Mary/Parnell Street today and the rice seems more expensive there than 1.19 Euro/Kg. They seemed very busy today even selling a lot of items which are cheaper elsewhere such as noodles.
I did however pick up 2 litres of Milk for 1.15 Euro in one of the ethnic stores. We use so much milk that shopping around for it can produce worthwhile savings compared to the usual 1.49 Euro per 2 Litres price. Usually the ethnic stores have cheaper milk. Even Iceland in the Ilac Centre bumped up it's price of milk from 99 cent, probably a bad move for them as it gives me no reason to visit them and perhaps pick up an ''impulse buy'' there.

bullworth,

I checked out that store over beside Liffey Valley today and the cheapest way (per kg) of buying rice was a 10kg bag for €14.99. Not cheap at all

bullworth,

I checked out that store over beside Liffey Valley today and the cheapest way (per kg) of buying rice was a 10kg bag for €14.99. Not cheap at all

Thanks RonanC . It seems to be the same story everywhere regarding the price of rice. I seem to have pretty much exhausted my search around the city centre but next weekend I will check out the prices around the Meath Street area during the Saturday markets and market stalls they have there. I'm not sure that rice is a big feature of what's on offer there but you never know until you look. If anyone can think of anywhere else which might be good to search then please let us know .

I'm friendly with a local chinese take away owner and he told me before that the price of rice went through the roof but he couldnt put his prices up to match the cost rise. He has taken a hit on the wholesale rise. I asked him how much should he be charging for the rice, he said double at least.

I asked him how much should he be charging for the rice, he said double at least.

If 1kg of rice retails for Approx 1.20, they must be buying it for less than that. They sell cooked rice - Approx 75g uncooked rice per portion for minimum €1.50 or more in restaurants. This is cooked in advance, in a rice cooker. Little or no additional costs. It has to be mega profitable for them even now!

If 1kg of rice retails for Approx 1.20, they must be buying it for less than that. They sell cooked rice - Approx 75g uncooked rice per portion for minimum €1.50 or more in restaurants. This is cooked in advance, in a rice cooker. Little or no additional costs. It has to be mega profitable for them even now!

They like most other chinese take away's give the rice as part of the main dish, so they dont get €1.50 per portion.

Hi Sue Ellen, do you mind me asking what you have compared UB too?
I've tried Roma, yuck and most supermarket rice.
I moved over to buying Thai Jasmin Rice from the Asian store in 2kg bags but now could not face going back to UB, it's far superior and cheaper. So to me there is a huge difference in taste.

I agree it is very, very expensive but worth the extra IMHO and I would use quite a bit of rice each week.

Back