Real Example re Bank Holiday Pay entitlement

The Pool Boy

Have a query on the payroll that I need clarifying.

An employee works Mondays and Tuesdays and earns €25,000 per annum for this.

If they only work the Tuesday do they receive their normal weeks pay? ie €480

And if they work the Tuesday & Wednesday of a bank holiday week to fulfill the normal hours they work each week - do they receive a full days pay for the bank holiday €240, or do they receive one fifth of a normal weeks wages €96 for the bank holiday.

Good question, I'm not sure what the case is on this but I assume that your employee is considered to be a full time employee so I doubt they would be entitled to a full day's pay!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e..._and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

If you have worked for your employer at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday and the public holiday falls on a day you normally work you are entitled to a day's pay for the public holiday. If you are required to work that day you are entitled to an additional day's pay.
If you do not normally work on that particular day you should receive one-fifth of your weekly pay. Even if you may never be rostered to work on a public holiday you are entitled to one-fifth of your weekly pay as compensation for the public holiday.
In all of the above situations your employer may choose to give you paid time off instead of pay for the public holiday.

Back