First time car buyer

Redshoes

I have never bought a car in Ireland before. Thanks to Askaboutmoney I found Car Zone and I know exactly what kind of car I want to buy and the approx price I might be expected to pay.
What other costs am I looking at? If for example the dealer price to me is €10,000 (which I understand includes MVT and VAT) are there any other charges to be aware of? Any hidden fees that they like to spring on you after you have made the decision to purchase?
Also, with regard to insurance do I have to organise that myself or will the car dealer help with that. I have no history of car insurance in Ireland.
I plan to buy a used car and pay cash.

Second hand car off the forecourt should have no hidden charges:
The dealer may have a link with some insurer but I would suggest you shop around.
If you have no history of No claims bonus within the last 2 years and depending on your age, the numbers may not be pretty.
You will probably find that the value of the car makes little or no difference to comprehensive insurance.

The other fixed costs are road tax and the NCT.
The car should have an up-to-date NCT certificate.
I presume you have a suitable drivers licence:)

Get some quotes for likely cars before you commit to buying one.As the last poster said premiums for first time drivers can be huge.

I have 20 years of insurance within another EU country does that count for anything I wonder?

That depends - LH drive or RH drive, cede right of way to traffic approaching from which side, what rules on roundabouts (e.g. French or Irish), etc.

You will probably face a loading unless you are moving from the UK.

Presumably you have had a look at the relevant key posts on AAM.

Definitely get someone to inspect the car before buying and as others have said check out the cost of the insurance beforehand also. Some young drivers have been shocked in the past where the insurance cost more than the car.

That depends - LH drive or RH drive, cede right of way to traffic approaching from which side, what rules on roundabouts (e.g. French or Irish), etc.

You will probably face a loading unless you are moving from the UK.

Since we are all in EU together it seems unfair to me that people moving from the UK have almost seamless move from there to here. My friend who made the move from England to Ireland is always telling me how easy it has been for her. She just drove her car on the ferry and drove off at this end. I, however, seem to be jumping through hoops all the time.

Old versus new

This is my rational. This is an example. I buy a 2014 car for 20000 cash, or I buy a 2012 for 12,000 cash. If it turns out to be a lemon, I can get a lot or repair work done for 8000? I'm feeling that the used car is a good option for me.
Does my reasoning hold up do you think?

Allianz

I rang no nonsense and 123. They insure only Irish and UK drivers. Even though I could supply them with a letter from my previous insurer. Which tells me cheap is probably crapola.
I called Allianz and if I provide them with a few things they are willing to insure me. And the rate is competitive. I'll be sending all my insurance business their way.....house, travel etc :)

I rang no nonsense and 123. They insure only Irish and UK drivers. Even though I could supply them with a letter from my previous insurer. Which tells me cheap is probably crapola.
I called Allianz and if I provide them with a few things they are willing to insure me. And the rate is competitive. I'll be sending all my insurance business their way.....house, travel etc :)
No need to do that!Always go for the most competitive quote.
Just because they are cheap in one area of insurance,it doesn't necessarily follow that they have good prices in other areas.

Back