Why employers don't reply to your CV's & letters...

Not in my experience. I've always got some response/acknowledgement/PFO any time I've applied for a job.

That doesn't mean that its the same for anyone else, or that the credit crunch has changed how people reply to applications. The number of posts from people getting no replies would tend suggest its very common even the norm anyway.

Wrong. It has value for both the applicant and the employer. It tells the applicant that the application has been received and declined. No doubt, no wondering. It brings clarity. For the employer, it reduces the likelihood of further queries, particularly if it gives some explanation as to why it was declined.

Wrong yourself. Your not going to get an explanation in automated reply, or spending 2-3 seconds per email as you suggested previously. People who aren't happy with no reply, aren't going to satisfied with an automated reply either. Getting a reply might even encourage them to look for more feedback.

That said it not that useful to generalise as every application is different.

That doesn't mean that its the same for anyone else, or that the credit crunch has changed how people reply to applications. The number of posts from people getting no replies would tend suggest its very common even the norm anyway.
So you conveniently ignore the feedback that doesn't suit you and take a self-selecting set of people giving negative feedback as 'the norm'. Way to get a balanced view.
Wrong yourself. Your not going to get an explanation in automated reply, or spending 2-3 seconds per email as you suggested previously. People who aren't happy with no reply, aren't going to satisfied with an automated reply either. Getting a reply might even encourage them to look for more feedback.
Wrong and wrong. It is indeed possible to give an explanation for unsolicited applications with a semi-automated 4-keystroke response. The explanation may well be 'we don't accept unsolicited applications. Please watch our website for future vacancies' or similar. It is difficult to imagine how anyone will look for more information in response to this.

That said it not that useful to generalise as every application is different.
Glad to see we agree on something.

Businesses don't exists as islands. They are part of our community. Today's job applicant is tomorrow's customer. Today's desperate job applicant in the recession is tomorrow's potential targeted recruit in a boom. It would be a foolish business decision to treat job applicants with contempt and not to exercise simple good manners.

So you conveniently ignore the feedback that doesn't suit you and take a self-selecting set of people giving negative feedback as 'the norm'. Way to get a balanced view.

I ignored it by quoting and commenting on it.

I took the majority 14 vs 4 (approx). How would you do it?

Wrong and wrong. It is indeed possible to give an explanation for unsolicited applications with a semi-automated 4-keystroke response. The explanation may well be 'we don't accept unsolicited applications. Please watch our website for future vacancies' or similar. It is difficult to imagine how anyone will look for more information in response to this.

Anything is possible, the issue is it worthwhile? Since its unsolicited, if they've got the email, they've already looked at the website, and seen theres no vacancies, and applied anyway. So I fail to see how its useful to tell them to go look at the website they've already looked at. Obviously they are doing that anyway.

Yet it happens. For some people no is not enough.

Businesses don't exists as islands. They are part of our community. Today's job applicant is tomorrow's customer. Today's desperate job applicant in the recession is tomorrow's potential targeted recruit in a boom. It would be a foolish business decision to treat job applicants with contempt and not to exercise simple good manners.

Theres an awful lot who don't even treat existing customers that well never mind people they are unlikely to ever hear from again as customer or as recruit. For example...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=105043

I ignored it by quoting and commenting on it.

I took the majority 14 vs 4 (approx). How would you do it?
Well, I'd start by not assuming that a self-selecting group of people complaining on a negatively titled thread is representative.
Anything is possible, the issue is it worthwhile? Since its unsolicited, if they've got the email, they've already looked at the website, and seen theres no vacancies, and applied anyway. So I fail to see how its useful to tell them to go look at the website they've already looked at. Obviously they are doing that anyway.

Yet it happens. For some people no is not enough.
It's a flawed assumption to assume that anyone who has the email address has seen the website. It is extremely unlikely that anyone who sees a clear message on a website regarding unsolicited applications is going to send in an unsolicited application. So if this is still happening, I would guess that the website is poorly designed and/or the content is poorly written.

Theres an awful lot who don't even treat existing customers that well never mind people they are unlikely to ever hear from again as customer or as recruit. For example...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=105043
Indeed there are. And I guess they will continue to whinge about the credit crunch, bureacratic regulators and excessive tax instead of addressing the real problem - their own attitude.

Well, I'd start by not assuming that a self-selecting group of people complaining on a negatively titled thread is representative.

I'll stop assuming that, if you ever post anything better that contradicts it.

It's a flawed assumption to assume that anyone who has the email address has seen the website. ...

If they haven't, then they haven't done their homework and aren't worth replying to anyway.

Having worked as a Recruiter for different organisations (not recruitment agencies!!) it is seen as best practice to acknowledge receipt of all applicants whether the applicant had applied for an advertised position or not. I recently myself have been applying for positions both on line and in newspapers- the majority would have acknowledged but there were some that did not - this is a bad reflection on an organisation and would make one wonder what other practices they let slip?? I recently had a regret letter sent to me for a post which i considered myself well qualified for. The following day I had the HR dep call me to ask me if I had received this letter, to which I replied yes. They had sent the regret letter in error and would like me to attend for interview- I was happy to inform them that I had since accepterd another position!! As for recruitment agencies- mostly a complete waste of time - there are one or two good reputable ones but others are clueless. For those sending your CV in on spec: * Find the person who is in charge of the hiring in that department- send cover letter and CV directly to them * Always follow up with a telephone call- it may take several but at least they will see that you are genuinely interested and obviously have initiative.

Imagine if 200 people apply for one position, and they all ring several times to follow it up.

I think theres a lot of variables. What the job is, how senior, the skill set, the application method, and what type of company it is. Things like that.

Back