fertiliser for trees

picassoman

Just wondering does anyone have a recommendation for a good fertiliser for trees ?

Also possibly in liquid form as there is weed block and 5mm stone at the base of the tress so it might make it easier for applying

thanks,
-pm

What kind of trees? Can the weedblock easily be lifted? A slow release fertiliser would probably be best, if you can get it under the block, whilst avoiding direct contact with roots.

Mixed variety - hornbeam, ash, oak, beech, alder, etc.

For most of the trees I have 1 sq m of weeb block around the base kept down with the 5mm stone. I could lift but I have 20 plu trees - too much hassle. Just thought there might be a liquid option

Well, you could use a general liquid fertilizer. There are many on the market, mostly for tomatoes etc but they'll do the trick. The reason I asked is that some trees prefer certain types of feed, but you've a broad range, so a general one should do.

Thanks horusd,

What about the pellet fertilizers in the Garden centers from the chicken / fish by-products. If scattered around the base would they gradually wash down ?

pm

Yes you can apply the pellets, and generally they operate as slow release, so that's good. But some trace elements & minerals contained in a general feed will be good too. I see Aldi are selling the chicken pellets again. Far cheaper than the garden centers.

Yes you can apply the pellets, and generally they operate as slow release, so that's good. But some trace elements & minerals contained in a general feed will be good too. I see Aldi are selling the chicken pellets again. Far cheaper than the garden centers.
would they be as good?

Probably better Jane Doe. Aldi source garden stuff from the top manufacturers and just re-brand them and sell them much cheaper.

Probably better Jane Doe. Aldi source garden stuff from the top manufacturers and just re-brand them and sell them much cheaper.

Didn't know than RonanC. I saw em the other day for around 10E. Out in powercourt today they were 13.00.

recently planted a beech tree and a conifer. Should I be doing as suggested at thatb link?

You probably only need to scatter feed around the trees. Spraying fertiliser can damage the leaves. You could delicately insert spikes, or fork the ground carefully. and apply liquid fertiliser/organic pellets etc. Tree roots will roughly equal the spread of the crown, so that' s what you needto focus on. If the soil is already good, you shouldn't need to apply a lot of feed, particularly given you have recently planted them. Once a year just before growing season should do. Do not apply feed in Autumn. This is very important. Growth spurts just before winter can damage the tree.

Didn't know than RonanC. I saw em the other day for around 10E. Out in powercourt today they were 13.00.

I bought some last year and that batch was produced for Aldi by Durston Garden Products in the UK. Aldi were selling items recently that are made by Gardman.

Back