VAT on car imported from UK

• Thread starter after three
  • Start date
A

after three

Hi, I am confused. I want to buy a new car from UK. Price includes 17.5% VAT. Must I pay this along with the 21% VAT charged here in Ireland when I get it home?That seems double taxation to me

I reckon I would save 6000 on a new Nissan Qashqai plus 2 diesel if I can claim back UK VAT

if you do get charged both, its not double whammy cause the first one is in uk tax the second is irish tax, best bet is to ring customs and ask or the will put you on the right line

You should be able to buy the vehicle net of VAT from a UK dealer, you need to inform them beforehand. I think you pay the UK VAT to the dealer and when you provide proof of paying Irish VAT they refund you. Don't think you can claim the UK VAT back if you haven't informed the dealer you're exporting the vehicle.

As to whether you have to pay IE VAT or not - depends on whether it's a "new means of transport":

[broken link removed]

SSE

Have you looked at the VRT? Make sure you get that nailed down before you bring it in. Be aware that there is vrt charged on extras too. make sure to check the uk spec and not irish as the uk spec may have a different co2 emission than the irish model

Dont just pay for it using your bank either as there is no guarantee of a good exchange rate. call all banks and currency.ie/transfermate to see how offers best rate, it will save you hundreds of euro

Back