Driving without insurance

gabsdot

Question.
A family member of ours regularly lends her car to another family member. This person is not insured to drive this car, (or any car) and does not have a current driving licence.
Obviously if this person is ever stopped by the guards he'll be in trouble but would the person who lend the car to him be in trouble too?
Just curious
Thanks

I'd imagine so.

Why would somebody knowing allow an individual to take their car if the individual doesn't have insurance, or even a driving licence?

Personally if there was ever an incident involving the insured driver I'd want to see him/her appropriate action taken on both the insured driver and the person who let them drive his/ her car.

Insured drivers deserve whatever they get.

Yes the owner of the car, will be taekn to court for allowing the an unisured driver to driver thier car. happened me. also if the car is involved in an incident then the owners insurance is used for the claim.
it was my brother who had my car and he was very lucky and he only got 5 points, we both had to go on the stand to fight for us not to loose our licences. it doesnt cost that much for a named driver to be put on the policy and u can do it in short periods of 3months etc if a full year is too expensive. my incident was a complete misunderstanding as he was always insured but when i renewed he never was put on, but again, he has to pay out over 25k in damages(personal) for being in a minor accident and my premium doubled in the same year until he has that debt paid off!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and get my nerve up to tell the person. (It's my MIL) She probably doesn't realise she could be in trouble.

This is not just a question of compliance with the law, and the consequences of being caught. It is mainly a question of responsibility as a citizen and a road-user. Driving without insurance is irresponsible; aiding and abetting such a driver is equally irresponsible.

Just think for a moment about the consequences for an innocent road-user caught up in an accident with this driver and maimed for life. He/she may be denied anything except the most minimal compensation because of the failure of this driver and your MIL to ensure that they are fully and properly covered. Just think of the consequences of being in a wheel-chair, or of being deprived of the capability to earn a living - and being inadequately compensated - and put that against the miserable few bob your MIL and the driver are attempting to save.

What is the MIBI there for? Surely they would have to pay the going rate to any injured persons? Why I am I paying 2% of my premiums to them if they are not looking after the victims of uninsured drivers?

Yes the motor insurance bureau is there to cover for accidents involving uninsured drivers and hit and run incidents. I have been added as a named driver on relations licences for a nominal amount.

Yes the motor insurance bureau is there to cover for accidents involving uninsured drivers and hit and run incidents. I have been added as a named driver on relations licences for a nominal amount.

Doesn't cover hit and run accidents/incidents unfortunately. This is claimed off your own insurance.

3rd party liability should.

Who's 3rd party insurance?, the guy that stole the car or the uninsured driver?. People who leave the scene of an accident normally don't have insurance.

On that note, If a drunk driver who is insured crashes/hit and run, is the insurance still valid?

Most but not all. I'm thinking of a specific case of a car hitting and writing off another parked car and then driving off.

Would that be the case only if you were fully comp? and is it correct that they will only pay out on damage to your car and not pay out on any injuries incurred?

What generally happens is that the injured party will claim off the owners policy who will inturn sue the MIBI.

Afaik, there is no offence of permitting in this country.

Was in the district court recently where i witnessed a person getting
six months off the road for "permitting" another to drive their vehicle that
was involved in an accident.

Blossy just want to ask how big was the accident. My husband recently borrowed a car to his friend who was involved in little crash. He fears the worst now. The friend wasn't insured off course. Such a silly thing to do, and the other person's looking for compesation.

he all, just to clear it up , there is two summons for insurance, one for the user and one for owner of the vehicle, a garda gas 3 months to denand from a car owner when he sees a vehicle
so to sum up
the person who borrowed the car would have none and the owner who let him drive would have none either to cover the user

Back