Lecture on new house price index tonight - Thursday 19 May

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Courtesy of www.irisheconomy.ie

Niall O’Hanlon (Central Statistics Office) will present a paper on this topic at the next SSISI meeting on Thursday, 19th May 2011, starting at 6:15 pm, in the Royal Irish Academy, 19 Dawson Street, Dublin 2. Non-members are welcome to attend and participate in the discussion. The discussants will be David Duffy of ESRI and Marian Finnegan of Sherry FitzGerald.
Abstract:
The Central Statistics Office will publish the first results of its national House Price Index on May 13th 2011. This hedonic index is constructed using data on mortgage drawdowns by eight lending institutions under Section 13 of the Housing Act (2002).
This paper describes how the development of the index has been largely driven by an impending European legislative requirement to produce indices of the costs of Owner Occupied Housing in the context of the Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices. It discusses the limitations of data on Irish residential property transactions in the context of the national House Price Index and the proposed register of property transactions. Practical considerations covering the treatment of data, the design of the hedonic functions, the rolling year regression model employed and the weighting of sub indices to form a composite national index are described.
The index results are examined in the context of some of the other measures of house prices in Ireland. Finally, the paper explores some future challenges for further development of the measurement of residential property prices in Ireland.

I'm wondering though is it any use going to the lecture as per our previous discussion here, the index may very well be worse than useless due!

Hi Jackal

I think that is why you should go. They realise the difficulties in creating such an index and they will be discussing them.

Brendan

I won't be able to attend but if you look at their website [broken link removed], the speeches/information given in previous meetings has been posted up afterwards.

So worth keeping an eye on it in the coming days or so for tonight's discussion.

You can find the full speech [broken link removed] on Constructing a National House Price Index for Ireland

Back