QIF Fund- Tax free property investment fund

tonster01

Hi all,

Been a while since I have been on the forum.

Just wondering if anyone has had any direct experience with the establishment of a QIF Fund. (Qualified Investor Fund)

Basically we are in the process of acquiring a number of properties at present through a limited company purchase.

However, as the QIF Fund is a tax free vehicle for the "sophisticated " investor and the cost of the properties will exceed 100K...

Would this be realistic to think the lay man can set such a venture up?

If you have knowledge in this- i would love to hear from you on:

Where do you begin to set this up?
Or is my head too far in the clouds on this?

I know you will need to be regulated with the central bank etc - but it takes 24 hours?!

Perhaps someone one be kind enough to share their knowledge of this and perhaps tell me if i am crossing the line of ambition and complete ignorance of the system!

Thanks in advance!

Tonster

Hi Tonster01

AIFMD came into effect on the 22nd July this year so in order to launch a QAIF now you must appoint an approved AIFM "Alternative Investment Fund Manager" and appoint a Depositary. This all results in additional costs so unless your fund will be large enough it may not be profitable to launch in Ireland or the EU. A lot of the smaller funds that we deal with have chosen to re-domicile for this reason but if you want to market your fund in Ireland but must comply with the directive.

All of the information you need to obtain approval is detailed in the attached link to the CBI website. All of the application forms are at the end of the page.

http://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/industry-sectors/funds/aifmd/Pages/default.aspx

Good luck

Hi eldiablo

Many thanks for your response.

I had been reviewing some details on the central bank etc as well as sites like Arthur Cox etc

I am trying to figure out could this realistically be used as an investment vehicle also for the layman to mass up a decent property portfolio without actually seeking a large amount of internal investment.

I may well be off the mark on this one but the concept of the establishment of a qif or a reit for tax purposes are obviously insanely attractive at this time.

Thanks and regards

T

Back