Leeds building society

Gatekeeper

Hi All,

I received a letter today from Leeds Building Society as I have a savings account with them re information about compensation arrangements, protection for your savings and giving a phone number to ring re information about the scheme which so far is busy. Account was opened about 6 months ago so I am wondering why I have got this letter now?

Are they in trouble and are my savings at risk? Has anyone else got one of these letters and have I anything to worry about Any feedback would be welcome.

Thank U.

The Leeds Building Society Ireland operation here is a strange one. Offering only one deposit product and no lending products.

Leeds Building Society are not in trouble. They are an established big bank in the UK.

I have always expected Leeds Building Society Ireland to eventually close when they sell their boom time mortgages. Depositors will get fully reimbursed if this happens.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It seems like a standard letter to me reminding people of the deposit insurance schemes.

Can you take a photo of the letter without contact details and post it?

Leeds building society.

Hi Ciaran,

Many thanks for your reply which is much appreciated. I will post copy of the letter to you later on today.​

Leeds Building Society

Hi All,
Under the terms of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, Leeds Builsding Society is legally obliged to write to all its customers each year. This letter is in a prescribed format and confirms that we are a member of the scheme, the limit of protection provided under the scheme ( i.e. £85,000 per individual) and includes contact details at the FSCS for further queries.
We include these details in the notification in our AGM mailing each year. For those customers who did not receive the AGM notification (they may have opened their account after 31 December 2013) we have to write to them personally, and this includes members in the UK, Gibraltar and Ireland.
We are one of only 3 building societies with a long term 'A' rating from both Moody's and Fitch and posted record results last year - see leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk.

Hope this helps.

Gary at Leeds Building Society.

Welcome to AskAboutMoney Gary.

Thanks for posting that information.

So the OP just got a standard annual letter. No issue so.

Leeds building society

Hi,

Once again thank you Ciaran and also thank you Gary for your clarification on this letter. It is greatly appreciated.

Back