Management companies - open plan estate

Bazil500

Hi

I live in an open plan estate with a management company and fees which is fine. The estate actually looks very well and is well maintained.

I do, however, have an issue with my neighbour - they have a decked patio which they dump kids toys, junk and there is even a x-mas tree on it. They even have broken boxes and broken toys outside the deck beside our path between our houses. Unfortunately however there is no fence between the houses so all we see from our deck out the back is a deck full of junk.

If I am looking to sell my house its a challenge in itself being open plan but being open plan beside a disrespectful neighbour will certainly not help.

I have contacted the Mgt Agent and sent photos however he has not been very helpful, they may have sent a letter but it has had no effect. One of the terms of the lease agreement is "The lessee shall not do any act or thing which shall or may be or become a nuisance or annoyance to the vendor or the management company or the owners or occupiers of any dwelling on the estate"

What should the management company do in this situation and what can I do as it is unsightly and will impact my ability to sell the house. If nothing is done I may need to put a fence up to block the junk pile but this will be against the lease agreement as is the situation of my neighbour.

Can you please give me your thoughts on how to deal with this situation?

If I am looking to sell my house
Are you?
"The lessee shall not do any act or thing which shall or may be or become a nuisance or annoyance to the vendor or the management company or the owners or occupiers of any dwelling on the estate"
In my experience management company rules can be a bit vague and to be fair it's difficult for anybody or any organisation to micro manage the lives of people even if such measures are deemed to be appropriate.
Can you please give me your thoughts on how to deal with this situation?
If necessary try to clarify the situation with the management company regarding if and how the rules apply to this situation. Or maybe try to raise your concerns politely with your neighbour directly?

However to be honest your neighbour, notwithstanding any management company lease conditions or house rules, may be completely within their rights to use their back garden as they see fit and one person's "unsightly pile of junk" may be another person's normal accoutrements of a family (with kids) life.

As there is no fence can other neighbours walk along this route?

So children could be running along this route beside this path as children do?

Can you say there are trip hazards and you'd get a right cut if you feel into a broken toy?

Management agent doesn't seem to be very motivated but if they get a letter warning about a possible hazard and potential for claims they may buck up and ask that all the stuff is tidied away

Normal to have some stuff outside like bikes and footballs and gear.

But broken toys and a Christmas tree which is either going to rot away [real] or else get damaged and blown around in the wind [artifical] shouldn't be around the place

But broken toys and a Christmas tree which is either going to rot away [real] or else get damaged and blown around in the wind [artifical] shouldn't be around the place
I don't think you can be as definitive as that about things without access to the management company house rules and lease etc. Some people would feel perfectly entitled to stick such stuff in their back garden. If it's a bit of an eyesore for somebody else but not obviously in breach of any management company or general "health and safety" rules then there's not much that can be done I reckon. Live and let live. Open plan back gardens sounds a bit odd though I must say.

Back