50% deposit but no history

L

Louiseml

Hi there my husband and I are hoping to buy a home soon. We're fortunate to have a deposit of €200k. We are hoping to get a mortgage of €200k and purchase a house for €400k. My husband has his own business ( for 5 yrs). It made a small loss for a couple of years but he has turned the business around and it is in established profit for 18 mnths. He currently has a salary to gross €65k. Previously he had to take half that. We also own a house outright (inheritance prop) which is worth about €100k but has a rental income of gross €9,600k.

My question is this: will we have trouble getting a mortgage?! We are currently paying €2000 rent per month, so we know that we can afford the mortgage. We have no loans, no credit card debt. 2 kids (who I currently mind)

Also wondered what can be considered as income? Is maintenance from an ex income. Also, I hope to return to work when our daughter is 3 (in about 18 months) I had been previously been earning a salary of €30k.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an amazing amount of rent you are paying? On the fact of it you can well afford a mortgage. But the fact your husband is self employed and only has done 5 years in business, and only recently profitable will not help. But you have a great deposit and another asset of 100K. Talk to a few banks to get a feeler on how they think.

Thanks Bronte - yes rent is big - agent told me few family homes for rent in my area, plus high demand as lots of people being refused mortgages.... I have a very good credit history but husband not so good - I'm at the saver, he's the spender. However he's also now the only earner.... Is it worthwhile going to see a mortgage adviser?

Back