car hire in Italy

darcybal

Hi
We travel to Italy in June and I have been searching the web for the best price for car hire. It seems to be quite expensive this year compared to previous years. Firefly keep coming up with the best price on the various websites I have tried but the reviews of them are not the best. Has anyone used them? Or can anyone suggest the best websites to check for car hire in Italy.

Thanks in advance.

If I recall (its a few years ago), we used nova car hire when we went to Italy, and got the excess insurance separately...

S.

We chose Firefly for a week in Lake Colo last year. Still regret the choice. Cheap yes. Awful, beat up car. They wouldn't change it. Had to make minor repairs myself to keep it going. Surly uncooperative guy at the compound before and after. Wouldn't use them again if there was another choice, at least at that spot.

I have booked through them for a week in July from Bergamo. Considering changing it now!

I have no specific recommendations for Italy but for the last couple of years I've been booking car rentals (mostly when I travel back to Ireland) through autoeurope - I've usually checked there and then gone directly to the website of the car hire place but autoeurope has, for me anyway, been consistently cheaper. I also took out a car-hire excess annual insurance policy last year so that I'm not tempted into buying the very expensive no-excess full insurance from the car hire place.

Back