American Holidays company would you recommend?

johnd

Has anyone travel to the US with American Holidays from Dublin and would you recommend them?

My wife and I would like to visit San Francisco but prefer to go on a tour as we'd see more that way. American holidays have a good 7 day tour to include San Francisco but we'd like to know are these tours to be recommended?

Thanks

Hello,

I would recommend them without hesitation. We have booked throught them a few times, excellent to deal with.

The staff in Duke Street, Dublin 2 have always been very good to deal with, based on my own experiences.

Oh, btw - if your going to San Fran make sure you book your tickets well in advance for the tour of Alcatraz. We went on the last tour in the evening time, so it was dark outside ... added to the experience, also very interesting to see the armed guards coming onto the island as we were getting onto the boat to go back to San Fran. Tickets can be booked directly, via their website btw.

The Bridge, Chinatown, a few goes on the Trams, maybe a quick visit to Knob Hill ... then a bit of shopping. We also went to a show one of the nights there, there's a cheap ticket place (can't recall if it's tkts or a competitor but it's down on the square selling tickets for most shows, same day at heavy discounts if your happy to queue)

Seven days will probably be far too much for San Fran alone btw. Unless your thinking of taking a couple of days up in Napa Valley perhaps, there are lots of places you can stay overnight, including a number of places situated at the various vineyards which do great meals to accompany their wines.

I'd say 4 days would be plenty in San Fran to be honest.

I hope to go back for my fourth visit this Spring. Our national carrier have reintroduced direct flights from April between Dublin and SFO, TBH I've found the brief stop [with other airlines] over travel more hassle. For trams and cablecars, you might be better off buying a three day pass which saves $$$. We've stayed Downtown before but much prefer over the Wharf district. I've yet to visit Alcatraz, but you would need to book tickets in advance during high season, failing a trip over to the 'Rock', an alternative trip north of the Bay to both Tiburon and Sausalito won't disappoint. You can get a subway train from the Airport directly into the City and works out very reasonable over taxis. Golden Gate bridge is little over a mile long and is doable in an afternoon via public busses [but best avoided on a foggy day - very cold]. A lovely cultural City, plenty to see and do - try visiting Chinatown and Coit Tower (in the Italian district). Despite the City being built on several hills, this is one holiday where you'll lose a few pounds as it's very walking friendly! Personally I could spend a month in San Fran without crossing the same path twice.

Thank you both for your replies. Very much appreciated and nice to know you would recommend a visit.

Back