Stop for unmarked garda car?

You are under no obligation to co-operate whatsoever until the Guard has properly identified himself. If you asked to see ID, he is obliged to show you. He must also inform you why you were stopped and detained before asking even asking you for your details.

By all means, make a complaint. I have a feeling that this guy was off duty and was on a power trip. Gives the rest of the Guards a bad name.

Hi 900TS

You absolutely must follow up on this.

Start with a complaint to the Sergeant in charge of his station.

If that is not satisfactory, then go to the Garda Ombudsman.

It sounds as if he was acting illegally and that he is a serious threat to cyclists. I think his sergeant will take it seriously.

Brendan

you should put your questions in writing to the sergent in charge at the station he was from, giving name, date, reg no, etc. Like everybody else, I have a lot of respect for the guards, but it annoys me to see them breaking their own traffic rules when they are not responding to an emergency

By all means, make a complaint. I have a feeling that this guy was off duty and was on a power trip. Gives the rest of the Guards a bad name.

Hi 900TS

You absolutely must follow up on this.

Start with a complaint to the Sergeant in charge of his station.

If that is not satisfactory, then go to the Garda Ombudsman.

It sounds as if he was acting illegally and that he is a serious threat to cyclists. I think his sergeant will take it seriously.

Brendan

you should put your questions in writing to the sergent in charge at the station he was from, giving name, date, reg no, etc. Like everybody else, I have a lot of respect for the guards, but it annoys me to see them breaking their own traffic rules when they are not responding to an emergency

With respect I strongly disagree with the above posters.
There’s no way I would make an issue of it. I’ve heard of and been close to too many incidents of people who have irked the Gardaí suffering low-level intimidation.
They are still effectively unaccountable. This is especially the case for relatively minor issues and/or behaviour that cannot be shown to be repetitive, and they will close ranks to protect their members.
In the case of the OP there was no third party witness so their story cannot be corroborated; there is an out for the Gardaí and there is no way they won’t take it. If it goes to court any judge will take the side of the Garda and the OP will be left high and dry.

Suck it up and move on.

There’s no way I would make an issue of it. I’ve heard of and been close to too many incidents of people who have irked the Gardaí suffering low-level intimidation.
They are still effectively unaccountable. This is especially the case for relatively minor issues and/or behaviour that cannot be shown to be repetitive, and they will close ranks to protect their members.
In the case of the OP there was no third party witness so their story cannot be corroborated; there is an out for the Gardaí and there is no way they won’t take it. If it goes to court any judge will take the side of the Garda and the OP will be left high and dry.

Suck it up and move on.
Good advice I'm afraid, unless you plan on leaving the country.

Suck it up and move on.

Isn't that how a few bad apples are allowed to destroy the reputation of an entire force? Anyone who makes a complaint and suffers low level intimidation should go straight to their TD or GSOC. Considering the majority of people have no dealings with Gardai from one day to the next, it would be very easy to show a pattern of intimidation if someone was been stopped or harrassed over time after making a complaint.

The OP should report the incident. Most complaints are one word against another. It doesn't mean people shouldn't complain. They mightn't get anywhere with it but it might just make people in these positions think about how they carry out their duties and stop them from thinking they are above the law.

OP should get a helmetcam - cheap ones are available online from about €20.

The next time it happens there will be no argument about who said what to whom.

Complaints should be made, but we have a problem.

Most large organisations, , seem to ,knee jerkingly , apply the rule of Circle the Wagons and that complainants are to be treated as troublemakers.

Eg; Senior Garda making comments that a whistleblowers actions are (disgusting ) is reprehensible.
It could well be a whistleblower is 100% wrong , but in no way should it be construed as any other than an honest attempt to right a wrong.
What all these senior people in Churches/Hse/Banks/guards etc appear to miss ,is that Mr Whistleblower is their best opportunity to reconsider their staffs actions.,
It gives senior people the opportunity to continually reappraise and improve their organisation.
Otherwise we get people reticent to complain. We ,I fear have learned nothing from the Morris Tribunal and worse still our Guards keep losing public confidence.

It is not good that OP won,t raise a complaint.

OP should get a helmetcam - cheap ones are available online from about €20.

The next time it happens there will be no argument about who said what to whom.

+1 Or even just hold up your phone and video the conversation (informing the garda that you are doing so) - that should at least result in a less aggressive approach from the garda. A helmetcam would be better in arguing the case leading to you being stopped in the first place of course.
Whilst it is disappointing that the OP is not raising a complaint here, it is entirely understandable and underlines the lack of confidence in the gardai and in how such a complaint would be handled. If the OP had some recorded evidence of the incident I think they would be more confident in proceeding with a complaint.

I've been away with work so haven't followed up yet. I know I should follow up, but given what's going on in the media right now, it doesn't give me much confidence in doing so.

Essentially I met a bully (he even did the classic bully thing of turning it back on me and making himself the good guy 'it's for your own protection', 'have you kids, don't you want to stay safe for them' bullsh*t.

Problem with bullies (esp those who also have power) is that they don't like being challenged, so being recorded by phone just wasn't practical - he was already very aggressive - I did get a photo of car reg, tried to get one of badge but failed, also 999 would have call record I assume.

But again, most likely best case if I report it, it will drag on, I'll hear little or nothing, he might get a verbal reprimand.
Worst case (and this is my fear, though I know it's unlikely) is that I start seeing cars parked outside my house at night, etc, or it's at back of my mind as I wave bye to wife and kids... who knows.
I'm still pondering it over though - I have a few months apparently.

But again, most likely best case if I report it, it will drag on, I'll hear little or nothing, he might get a verbal reprimand.

So what if it will drag on, by you doing your little bit, if he gets a reprimand it might make him think twice about doing it again to the next unfortunate, and if you do nothing, the next guy will get it even tougher than you did. Sometimes one should stand up to bullies. It makes a better society. You're not in McCabe's league, and will not suffer like he has, and will, he wants a better police force and so should we all. If you and others making you little point achieves that, it is something to be proud of, indeed probably it's your duty as a citizen. It will be interesting to hear your progress.

Worst case scenario is that everytime you go through an orange light, not have to correct lighting on your bike, wobble dangerously, not hand signal etc. you will get stopped and given a summons for breaking the law. If you drive a car you will be 'routinely' stopped and have your car tyres checked and all other tests that go with making your life hell. God help you if you actually do something wrong like take a turn you shouldn't have. These guys know exactly how to be petty and get their point across.

Worst case scenario is that everytime you go through an orange light, not have to correct lighting on your bike, wobble dangerously, not hand signal etc. you will get stopped and given a summons for breaking the law. If you drive a car you will be 'routinely' stopped and have your car tyres checked and all other tests that go with making your life hell. God help you if you actually do something wrong like take a turn you shouldn't have. These guys know exactly how to be petty and get their point across.

So you get a helmetcam, and a dashcam - and you publish nice videos to YouTube showing this harassment and victimisation. And you stop driving through yellow lights. And you make sure you have proper lights on your bike.

Back