On Line Start Up - Worldpay Query

The_Banker

Hi Folks,
I am in the process of starting up an on line business selling items to the general public. Presently I am an employee of a large company and I am doing this website on the side in the hope that it may grow and allow me to move to it permanently at a later date.

All is going well and I am now looking at the payment stage. I looked at getting a Merchant account with AIB (with the view to signing up with Realex Payments) but as I don’t have an existing business track record they won’t entertain me. I read from their website that I would need an business track record before they would allow me open a merchant account but as I have a large savings account with one of their subsidiaries (EBS) I thought I might get one. I didn’t so I decided to look at Worldpay.

With Worldpay it will take 4 weeks for the payments to hit my account. I can live with that. The business that I am trying to build will be a slow burner and I don’t expect to set the world alight straight away. I have looked around the Worldpay site and to be honest I am more confused than before I looked at it.
So I have a few questions about Worldpay that people who have used them may be able to answer. Any help is appreciated….
  • Do I have to register as a business or company first before I open an account with Worldpay?
  • Does it matter if I am set up as a sole trader or as a company when it comes to getting an account with Worldpay?
  • Do I need to have a merchant account to register with Worldpay? Once registered with Worldpay for payment will the payments go to any current account I specify or do I have to have another ‘special’ account with Worldpay which I then transfer to my current account?
Any info or help from someone who may have a Worldpay account is appreciated.

Do I have to register as a business or company first before I open an account with Worldpay?
Been a couple of years since I opened and used a Worldpay account, but yes they did require proof of trading and I had to get something stamped by the bank.
Does it matter if I am set up as a sole trader or as a company when it comes to getting an account with Worldpay?
Didn't matter for me, I was registered as a sole trader.

Do I need to have a merchant account to register with Worldpay?
No, they are a payment bureau, so process the transaction using their own merchant account.

Once registered with Worldpay for payment will the payments go to any current account I specify or do I have to have another ‘special’ account with Worldpay which I then transfer to my current account?
I believe they can pay into any current account as long as it's held by the Worldpay account holder.

When I used Worldpay they were pretty good, but in recent years I've heard some stories of people been asked for unrealistic deposits before been issued an account.

Been a couple of years since I opened and used a Worldpay account, but yes they did require proof of trading and I had to get something stamped by the bank.
Didn't matter for me, I was registered as a sole trader.

No, they are a payment bureau, so process the transaction using their own merchant account.

I believe they can pay into any current account as long as it's held by the Worldpay account holder.

When I used Worldpay they were pretty good, but in recent years I've heard some stories of people been asked for unrealistic deposits before been issued an account.

Thanks for your help Thunder99.
Appreciated.

Online payments

Why dont you try sagepay, sage are in city west, I've tried all, Worldpay is actually quite expensive, call them and see if they can help

Back