Buy a property without preliminary exchange of contracts and solicitor

Geraldine2

Inherited an old house with a relative and my husband has agreed a price to buy out the relative, but would like to buy outright without preliminary "exchange of contracts" if possible.

There's no mortgage involved; no conditions about the state of the house as it couldn't be in a worse condition; no need to investigate the seller's title.

Would it be possible to buy without using a solicitor's services?

"Would it be possible to buy without using a solicitor's services?"

Absolutely.

Mind you, if there is ever an intention ever to sell or mortgage, you'll probably find its not a job for the fainthearted and hubby would be far better off protecting his assets, in the long term, by paying for professional advice.

I doubt that a lay person would have the expertise to acquire proper title to any property and deal with such issues as wayleaves, tax, planning, compulsory registration etc.,etc such as would enable them to ever sell on to anyone else.

mf

Geraldine,

Why would anyone want to buy a money pit?
And to do so without checking what additional problems there may be that are not visually evident or physically present on the site?
Only yesterday I advised on checking for unpaid rates before signing a lease on a commercial property.
On a dwelling there are a whole raft if issues to look at, but just let's concentrate on one.

1. Get a realistic estimate from a contractor to put the house to rights - as opposed to a "get me in the door and I'll add on extras" estimate.
2. Check the price for building a house from scratch on a piece of land locally at today's prices.
3. Compare the two - you might be unpleasantly surprised.

ONQ.

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back