Can't afford to be redeployed

KLM

My husband works as a physio for the HSE. He used to work two days in one hospital and three days in a health centre. Since all the cutbacks, extra taxes, wage cuts and me losing my job, he couldn't afford to travel the 96km to the hospital from our house, twice a week. So his boss said he could work from the health centre, which is closer to where we live, four days a week. Now they are saying that he has to go back to working for two days at the hospital. We just cannot afford the extra fuel that it will cost. What can we do ? Have we got any rights ? My husband is not in any union.

Contract?

Does it say anything in his contract? It's highly likely that there is something in it that refers to the HSE requiring flexibility to meet the needs of the service, or something like that.
I'm working in a similar area. Even though I work regular hours, in a convenient location, my contract would allow my employer to make changes if the service required it. So they would be covered if they suddenly required me to move location, or work evenings and weekends.
Since Croke Park and Haddington Road - we have increased hours, and increased flexibility is also expected.
To be honest, it sounds like your husbands boss was great to be able to accommodate him working closer to home for a while, but I wouldn't assume that it's an ongoing entitlement.

I could be completely wrong but....does your spouse not have an official work base,and the second location would be expensed at Cc mileage rates,from the work base?
(At least that's how it works in the place my brother works,)

I think with the HSE that we can be moved something like 30 mile i could be wrong on this but i am nearly sure the contract states that we can be moved

I think with the HSE that we can be moved something like 30 mile i could be wrong on this but i am nearly sure the contract states that we can be moved

Does this relate to a relocation of up to a certain distance as a once off event,rather than a regular weekly movement between 2 workplaces for the same employer?

KLM and husband have a problem that is costing them. POC's post is relevant. The rest of posts on the subject todate are personal opinions and likely are of no relevance and although meant to be helpful, are not.

The working contract here is the most relevant item. Are there two contracts involved? One for the Physio Centre and the other for the Hospital? If there are two contracts involved you are snookered. If one contract is involved there may be a case to claim mileage and subsistence.

Scenario 1:- Let's say there is one contract involved pinning the Physio to both the Health Centre and Hospital. The Physio should talk with his manager to discuss the loss of earnings re the travel to the hospital. The line manager might assume that the Physio is claiming "expenses" or about to claim retrospectively. However, you know you won't know unless you go.

Scenario 2:- There are two contracts for sake of argument. There is very little the Physio can do, if anything at all. Resignation of one of the posts has got to be a runner.

Scenario 3:- Is the Physio employed from an agency used by the Health Centre and Hospital? Options here are limited also other than negotiating with the agency people.

Observation (my opinion only):- Nobody in the Health Service is obliged to join a trades union. The Physio is not in a trades union; Big Mistake! . . . and costly in this situation. Before anybody gets up on their high horse about union representation in this situation ask yourself the following question:- How many Nurses are in a trades union in the Irish hospital service? I'll even give you the answer:- A little short of 100%.

Please Note:- All of the above has been paraphrased by me and I address the issues as perceived by me. There may be other issues which have not appeared on this thread.

Last edited:
Back