Best route the take regarding workplace issue

McD1978

Hi all,

I work within the insurance industry, an analytical role. The company I work for carry out quality checks on our work, to ensure accuracy of data produced. Should errors occur, they are duelly noted and would normally have a financial impact come end of year pay reviews. No issue with this as thankfully my output has always been of the highest quality.
However, my manager has recently tried to drag down my quality ranking by claiming errors in my work which simply do not exist. In the first instance, I was able to have her retract what she had claimed was my error but only this week she has done the same again and is refusing to retract the what is an incorrect error assigned to me. If left on my record, this may lead to a financial impact on me at year end. I've brought the issue to the attention of our "next in line" manager but have to wait for their return from annual leave before it's reviewed.
It's obvious for some reason I'm being singled out by this manager (who incidentally has two previous allegations of bullying against her).
I'd like some advice on what steps to take next as even if the issue with wrongful errors is reversed in my favor, as I expect it will, I still have an issue where I'm obviously being singled out. Many thanks.

Yeah, I can prove the incorrect allocation of error to me. I also have several coleagues that can back me up on this.
The manager is question is the one allocating the error. She has no super-user sanctions.
While I hesitate to use the term, it seems like a power trip thing and I seem to have been singled out in this instance.

You have reported the issue to the other manager. You have to wait for him to come home from holidays and see what happens. I understand that you are anxious to get things resolved but you can't rush these things. Just wait.

Whenever anything happens, take copious amounts of notes of the episode within 24 hours of it happening.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks Steven, have already taken notes of absolutely everything. I firmly believe carry on of this type is disgraceful and want to ensure that when the issue is resolved, no co-worker will be placed in a similar position.

Hello,

If the next person up is going to be on annual leave for a further week or more and you are finding the working environment difficult as a result of the problems with your line manager, I would take it to your HR department (assuming you have one). If not, I would take it to one of the directors of the company.

I would insist on a change of reporting line, so as to no longer be working with the individual in question and ensure that your employer knows clearly that nothing less than a full apology will be acceptable from the current line manager. Otherwise, tell them you consider it to be an action taken out with the support of your employer and as a result, you may be forced to take action against the company.

I'm a strong believer in taking a very hard line, once your 100% in the right about something like this - it is simply unacceptable under any circumstances, particularly when the line manager in question has a history for this form of bullying.

I worked in an organisation employing over 1000 employees in various locations for 7 years. Some of the managers acted appallingly on a consistent basis and whenever an allegation of bullying was brought to senior management or HR - lip service was paid to the policies and procedures regarding work place bullying. The failure of senior management / HR to take the allegations seriously led to a situation whereby the victims' working lives became impossibly stressfull. In addition, the offending managers became emboldened by the inaction of HR and their adverse behaviour worsened, albeit in a more covert manner.
Has your employer taken the 2 previous bullying allegations against this manager seriously? What exactly happened?
It is wishful thinking to believe that a bully will change his / her behaviour regardless of censure, as patterns of behaviour are often times established in early childhood. In fact, the bully will often times unconsciously create a sitaution whereby HR are called in as the attention feeds his / her narcissism.
I left my employment to escape the toxic organisational culture (after organising a severance payment equivalent to a year's net pay). It was one of the best decisions I ever made).

Well done on your actions - you've followed the best course by raising with the next level of manager and by having detailed notes.

It appears that you want to have the record set right. This is a matter of fact and with your records and corroborating testimony from colleagues this should not be a problem. However, there is an implicit suggestion that you want "something done" about your current manager. In that regard, I would think carefully about what you want so that you can present it clearly and succinctly when the higher-level manager asks. For example, do you want an apology, an explanation, a transfer, a pay rise, compensation etc. It is clear that you were wronged and you feel how that is - the challenge is to avoid the desire for revenge (after all, you don't want them to know they got to you) and to focus instead with clarity on what you want as an outcome and as an entitlement. My emphasis here is on deciding what you want for yourself as an outcome and avoiding any temptation to seek to have the manager disciplined because that is for the company to decide on the basis of what they see in the case. I believe that looking to have someone disciplined can be seen as being personal, while looking for an apology, the pay rise you are due, having your record set straight is a sign of a sincere complaint without malice.

Finally, there was a previous incident, I would be inclined to include a mention of that, but not to make it the main issue, perhaps suggesting that the issue is with the error recording system and allow the senior manager to work their way to the conclusion.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Some of the last replies hits the nail right on the head - I'm very inclined to take a hardline position over the incident, not for want of advancment or compensation for myself (although I suspect I could have grounds for a claim) but to ensure that such issues are completely eradicated from the company. Without giving the name away, the company I work for are new to the Irish market and in fairness to them are trying to improve working conditions for employees. However, management such as the one I'm having the issue with are dragging us back.

Mr Earl, when you mention taking action against the company, do you mean involving my solicitor and instructing him to issue proceedings against the company for bullying?

Just be patient McD. I have been in situations before and it is incredibly frustrating and you want things resolved immediately but these things take time. Wait for the other manager to come back and see what happens. If that doesn't work, go to a director. I have never found HR to be sympathetic to the employee's situation and they always enforce the company line, so I would be surprised if you got anything out of them.

If you have the evidence to back up your grievance, you will win but just keep your powder dry for the moment. No point in hitting the nuclear button before you have gone through all the other options.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back