TUPE & transfer of ownership

J.P.

The multinational company I work for has sold the plant I work in to an Irish company, who plan to double the plant output with minimal extra people to be employed. I have worked for the multinational company for over 30 years in various managerial positions & the prospect of having a significantly increased workload to add to my current load , with a new employer with a very poor track record, well it does not really appeal . My queries relate re. Transfer of Undertakings –

(a). If an employee does not wish to join the new employer, does the former employer have any responsibility towards the employee ?

(b). If an employee’s transfer to a new employer involves a change in working conditions (e.g. increased workload as outlined above ) to the detriment of the employee, what rights does the employee have in this situation ?

Ideally, I would like to negotiate redundancy (now 58 years old) – but redundancy is not on offer. Do I have any fair & reasonable grounds to make a case for redundancy ?

JP

For information on your statutory rights in this situation contact the DETE employment rights section (www.entemp.ie) - they are very helpful in my experience.

Back