Is a marble worktop hard to maintain?

celine26

Hi I'm torn between a granite worktop and a marble one. The marble one is a bit more expensive. I was just wondering would it be more difficult to maintain as I'm told its more porous?

All I know about marble worktops is that you have to be extra-carefull with certain substances such as lemon juice / vinegar, as it the acid could stain it forever.
My mum has one, and after about 40 years, it looks quite dull to be honest.
Maybe it's due to some external factor, though.

I believe marble is more porous than granite and is more likely to stain over time.

Personally I would go for the granite. We have granite countertops and they are fantastic.

More expensive does not necessarily mean better.

tops

We looked at granite and marble when we picked our new kitchen and ended up going for granite. We did a fair bit of testing and could not find a marble that was not porous.
As a test, take note of the amount of spills and drops that exist on your existing countertops over the next week. Even the tidiest kitchen has spills etc.
We chose granite and I have to say it was a great choice. It looks really good, is really solid and a dream to clean.
Try and go for the thicker granite as it looks the part.

I have black speckled granite installed since 2003 and with many spills from all kinds of substances. No stains whatsoever and never had an issue with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just prefer the look of the marble and the colour of it. But if its going to be hard to maintain then maybe granite would be best I like the granite too its just a bit difficult to decide!

Back