Appealing Student grant refusal

D

ditzyfairy

can someone assist me with my appeal after being refused the grant.

I rang the SUSI helpdesk and they said I have a strong case for appealing I just need help with understanding the legal terminology and writing my appeal

I would suggest you call into your nearest Citizens Information Office, they should be able to help you with it.

I would also like help in answering a specific question and wondering if special exceptions have been made in the past. as i understand it you firstly ask for a review by contacting them by email more than likely you will get a refusal, once refused you print out and fill in an appeals form from susi website stating why you think you my qualify if this is refused you get a second appeal and ultimately you have a third appeal but to the high court if you want to question a point of law but this is expensive as i understand it and unless you and a solicitor have a cast iron case then this may also fail even if you do have cast iron case its up to the judge!!! hope the procedure helps. You should always keep everything recorded in the form of emails sent and received and copies of forms sent just to be aware that phone calls can sometimes be open to interpretation and full names should be asked and recorded also

my own problem is my son has just been granted full maintenance grant but we were hoping for the special rate (approx double the amount) however he has been disqualified from getting special rate as i am on illness benefit which is termed as a short term benefit despite me being on it since 2006 (7 years) since 2009 illness benefit only lasts for only 2 years then you either go onto job seekers allowance or disability. i am currently onto the first appeal after being refused the review by email. Does anyone have any advice on this. i do feel that we are being refused because of benefit name only as the lad down the road who is on jobseekers and has same number of kids, mortgage etc gets the same money as me but his daughter has just received special rate for college and we get the same money each week its just called something different.

Back