High prices of flights Dublin to London in August

Adecco

I'm Irish - but live in London.

Was thinking of flying back to Dublin next friday week 22nd august - 10 days from today.
Was also planning on making it some time after work at sometime between say 5.30 p.m. - 8.00 pm ideally - which to be fair is peak time.

Saying that though i've just checked and the cheapest one way flight on skyscanner (i.e. which selects from all the airlines) is a whopping EUR196 !! (ONly one flight at this price)

And the next cheapest is EUR243 !! And they only increase from there.

I have to say i'm shocked.

If i want to get a cheap flight option back sunday, i reckon all in including transport to and from airport in london and dublin, i wont get a return trip for less than EUR400 !

DId i just blink and miss all this cheap airline fares stuff disappear overnight or something??

Well it is short-ish notice at peak time - at a time (regardless of the time of year) - Friday evening - when many workers drop back from London to IRL for the weekend. Have you tried other UK airports OR other irish airports?

€400 return all in as the cheapest option seems very steep to me with 10 days notice.
Particularly given that there is no peak as such on Sunday (at least not like Friday )

It's the same for a lot of destinations. I have been tracking Palma with Aer Lingus and Ryanair. It actually looks cheaper to purchase an old fashioned "package holiday" at times than pay the crazy prices that Aer Lingus were asking. I'm reduced to flying midweek and out of season to get any decent offers.

If you're living in London you'll know that it's a UK bank holiday weekend that week ( so you shouldn't be flying back Sunday :) ) .. Friday after work on a bank holiday weekend is going to an expensive travel day ! ... It's the last bank holiday before Christmas for us over here :(

Try Saturday morning instead - often it can be a lot cheaper

The days of sub £100 (let alone 100 euro) return flights on the weekend from London to Dublin are in my experience long gone (especially so in the summer) ... For reasonably timed flights after work Friday going back Sunday evening it's more like £150 most of the time and even booking in advance you'd do well to keep it below £200 on a bank holiday weekend

For cheap travel:

1. Book well in advance
2. Or watch out for offers, Ryanair for example will drop flights if they haven't sold as many seats as expected
3. Bank holidays either end to be avoided
4. Never travel out on Friday and back on Sunday
5. Travel out Tue/Wed/Thur and ditto for the return
6. Bedtime hours for flying is cheaper, ie 6 am flights
7. Aer Lingus does sales well in advance, watch out for those
8. Peak periods are not just the weekends, if there is a major event, Rugby match, conference, school holidays etc

You've chosen the most expensive option as it's a Friday, bank holiday, short time span to booking, at the worst time on a Friday as it's possibe to be, on the school holidays with the return on a Sunday. Take a day off either end and see if you get a lower price.

I've just checked Ryanair, if you fly out Wed Aug 27 it's 46 GBP and return Sat 33 It's 33 GBP. Total less than 80 GBP. So your thread title is way misleading.

You've chosen the most expensive option as it's a Friday, bank holiday, short time span to booking, at the worst time on a Friday as it's possibe to be, on the school holidays with the return on a Sunday.

I had a quick look also, and return flights (at those dates / times) on Ryanair from Gatwick or Stansted are under €250.

So throw in "avoiding Ryanair" to your list and it's hard to be sympathetic!

I travel fairly regularly into central London and what works for me, is a flight to Birmingham, take the monorail and get the train to Euston (if that is convenient for you) Can be a lot cheaper than flying from London and not take much longer especially if you have to take the tube or Heathrow/Gatwick express trains.

this time around you may not get better deals seeing as you are only 10 days away and travelling on a bank holiday

The OP is basically how Ryanair make their profits - they've decided to book late for the Friday evening of a bank holiday. The only other people from whom they make more money are those going to funerals.

London (!) Southend and Birmingham have cheaper flights next Friday.

Is the UK travel tax still in place? It was £11 last time I remember seeing it itemised on a ticket. Adds quite a chunk to any flight price.

Go on the eurolines website and get the bus/ferry to Dublin for €40, of course it will take a few hours longer.

Go on the eurolines website and get the bus/ferry to Dublin for €40, of course it will take a few hours longer.
Back in the day, when I was very poor that's what I did. To be avoided at all costs.

Of course, back in the day, you didn't have to be just poor, nobody but the very rich could fly with the Aer Lingus private flying club.

The sail/rail is about €48 and the only problem is the 4 hour train journey. The boat is quite pleasant.

Back in the day, when I was very poor that's what I did. To be avoided at all costs.

Of course, back in the day, you didn't have to be just poor, nobody but the very rich could fly with the Aer Lingus private flying club.

They were the days. Now you get all sorts of riff-raff on flights!

Back