Can a Fás Safepass course be cancelled on the morning?

I asked other construction workers, they all had to pay for the safepass themselves. I doubt very much if any employer will pay for this in these times. I rang up Fas, and they seemed unsure about who should pay for the safepass, jobs advertised on their website require construction workers to have a safepass.

In 2005 at a conference in the IMI, the estimate of more than 1/2 billion euro was raised as to the cost of Safe Pass at that time, 600,000 days wages, 600,000 days lost productivity, and 600,000 course fees. The return was, a minuscule decrease in incidents per 100,000 workers. 1/2 billion euro would run the the HSA for 25 years, or double or treble its inspection and enforcement function for 10 years.

That is a lot of money. Sounds like the whole thing has gone out of control. It has for me as I am now out of work. If a firm can not get enough people to run a course in Dublin, what hope has the rest of the country. I think the idea is good, but lets face it, canceling the course because a few did not show up is pure rubbish.

Would CIE cancel a train, and order everyone off the train, if they discovered there are not enough passengers on the train? I can accept cancelling it when the people get a weeks notice. Because it carried the Fas badge, it is Fas who should answer for this problem.

The data that was used( from HSA annual reports and publications)
rate per 1000, illness and injury
2001 48.6
2002 45.8
2003 54.9
2004 61.0
2005 60.9
updated
2006 62.6
2007 57.8

Fatalities per 100,000
1999 3.5
2000 3.5
2001 3.0
2002 3.0
2003 3.3
2004 2.5
2005 3.2
2006 2.5
2007 2.75

So did 1/2 billion up to 2005 and likely the same since made much of a difference?

trials in 2000, voluntary 2001-2, legal requirement for construction, LA and security employees since 2002

And what about the accident rates prior to introduction, e.g. 1997-2001? I've had a look on the HSA website, but it doesn't seem to go back that far.

trials in 2000, voluntary 2001-2, legal requirement for construction, LA and security employees since 2002

Strictly speaking it's only a legal requirement for those involved in the allied trades on a construction site. Most others didn't need to do the course.

And the HSA didn't see any if the money, FAS only saw a relatively small portion of the money too. The test during the boom was training organisations.

Are those stats overall figures or specific to construction?

no, they are general industry, but you can from HSA stats extract Construction figures if you wish( as was done for the conference I mentioned)
Agree the trainers and training organization did very well, so did hotels, they switched from room hire and teas and coffees with a bar lunch to
" delegate rates with free room hire" doubling their take.

Was/is common knowledge that as Fas middle managers retired they where given crash course in construction safety and made up to be Safe Pass tutors. Also family memebers with Little or no construction experience got on the Safe pass tutor list as well.

Was suggested that a levy on construction in the early 0's, ring fenced for HSA , improving their inspection , enforcement, education and advice services but at the time Fas empire was growing and Safe Pass and CSCS schemes where favored.

As a safety professional, the improvements from the CSCS schemes is evident( dumper drivers, teleporter drivers banksmen and especially scaffolders etc) but I still fail to see a clear benefit from safe pass, a good site specify induction, well thought out and delivered and re-enforced would be more useful- and as employees moved around during the good times they would have it repeated till some of it stuck!

Course paid for in full????, you were there for 1 hour, at the appointed place, and time???,they did not provide what they were contracted to do???? while I would need further information. Seems to be a clear breach of contract. You need legal advice.

Good news at last.
I started a new job two weeks ago.

I managed to get a safepass course that went ahead.
If fairness to the course I found it useful, and am happy with it, and can not fault it.

I am not happy about the cancelled course, and I now have a solicitor working on it, so far the training firm has made an offer which was rejected by the solicitor, as he checked with a barister who said I am entitled to lost earnings up to the day when I started my new job. So it looks like good news for me.

I can see that this post is over 2 years old, but I'll try anyway. I'm very interested to know what was the outcome of legal action against the training company.

If by any chance dcity91 you are getting a notification on your e-mail that there is a response to your thread please contact me at [email protected]

We are trying to put a case to FAS in relation to this issue (minimum number of Safe Pass participants) and a real case would be definitely a help.

Many thanks,

M

Back