is this legal as part of screening candidates?

GoldWings

"Xxx welcome applications from candidates who do not have a current or previous relationship with the institute and who satisfy the following requirements..... "

The above statement is attached to a job description that I was thinking of applying for, however I have worked there before..... Is this legal? Doesn't feel like equal opportunities to Free!

Seriously, does it matter? Or would you prefer to waste your time applying for jobs you have no chance of getting?

@howmuchunder
The equality authority is worth a look www.equality.ie as it does cover 'access to employment' but its not clear that you would come under any of their headings

Are they publicly funded? Could be grounds for a judicial review which is the nuclear wapon against any of these bodies usurping their authority.

Are you aware of any legislation governing the institute?

What @jim2007 is saying has an element of validity, but sometimes these matters are in fact worth pursuing. It does not sound obviously fair to me.

Thanks, I'll probably follow it up. It's an institute of technology. And the position is a short research stint, so probably funded by HEA or similar.

I see ambiguity in the wording: the intention might be to make clear that the position is open to all, including those who have no connection with the institute.

Alternatively, it might be intended that the research opportunity is targeted on new researchers - a kind of entry-level research position.

I see ambiguity in the wording: the intention might be to make clear that the position is open to all, including those who have no connection with the institute.
That's how I'd read it. It doesn't exclude those who have already worked there. It just welcomes those who don't. There is nothing discriminatory about a welcome.

Back